• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Queen mother dead (UK)

And the fact that she was, what, 101-102? I'm sure that played a part. :)

Speaking as a tourist, you can't get rid of the monarchy! Yeah, palaces are nice and all, but without people living in them they're just old stories.

Originally posted by Dusty
Speaking as a tourist, you can't get rid of the monarchy! Yeah, palaces are nice and all, but without people living in them they're just old stories.
So why don't other countries have a royal family? I'm guessing though that if we get rid of the royal family there would be a president and no parliament. Not sure if thats true but that's what I've heard.

Originally posted by cheatpark

So why don't other countries have a royal family? I'm guessing though that if we get rid of the royal family there would be a president and no parliament. Not sure if thats true but that's what I've heard.

Coming an Republic has be an issue for Australians.

Parliament would remain, the "president" basically replaces the "royals".

Something like the U.S system I suppose.

So why don't other countries have a royal family?
It would be a tad bit odd for us to one day start calling the President the King, although I'm sure he'd quite enjoy the new title. But it hasn't got much to do with politics. It's all mainly just a show. We've got no royal family for the simple fact that we've got no royal family. That's where Britain and we differ, they've got one.

When you see a castle or palace here you're first thought is "who's the loony with too much money on his hands?", 'cause nothing here's much more than a couple centuries old. Europe, though, Europe's all historic. Can't walk twenty paces without tripping over something that was significant in the past. That's the whole point of Europe-- from a vacationer's standpoint, anyway. The idea of "royalty" hearkens back to that past that you're on a tour of. Makes a trip worthwhile when you can rest assured in the fact that there're real-life living royals up in that palace, that it's not just some empty building you can walk though and hear some tourguide babble at you about a faded picture on the wall until you duck out behind a doorway and make your own tour, walking on the wood floor instead of the carpet runner and touching all the polished shinny doorknobs while imagining what it must had looked like 500 years ago before the velvet rope.

A link with the past, that's what they are, and that's the function they perform. They also make the past come alive with the modern-day scandal we just can't live without. The royal family's good. Not just England's, but any one... well, they're all the same family, so back to my original statement, the royal family's good.

You can just invent a royal family. If you do there's no link and it's all just silly.

Sure, there's a "link" in the same sense that I could become the king of England... I'd just have to knock off a few hundred million people ahead of me in line... and to top that off, I'd have to acquire an English accent. See, that just doesn't work, and that's why we don't have a royal family and can't have one.

It all makes perfect sense.

Now back to Dead Queen Mum, already in progress-- even though all that can be said (that being "Queen Mother" and "Dead") has pretty well been said already.

Australia? is it because it is once a british colony?

is australia still a british colony now?
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/as.html

Australia became a commonwealth of the British Empire in 1901. It was able to... blah blah blah ...Great Barrier Reef. A referendum to change Australia's status, from a commonwealth headed by the British monarch to an independent republic, was defeated in 1999.

Country name: conventional long form: Commonwealth of Australia
conventional short form: Australia
Government type: democratic, federal-state system recognizing the British monarch as sovereign
...yadda yadda yadda...
Executive branch: chief of state: Queen ELIZABETH II (since 6 February 1952), represented by Governor General Rev. Peter HOLLINGWORTH (since 29 June 2001)
Australia is a commonwealth of the British Empire.

I thought Hollingworth resigned because he admitted to having carnel knowledge with an underage girl??? Oh well...

Talking to my brother before, I think he said the Queen has no say over how the country is run and can only sack the Governer-General (her representitive in parliament) but she wouldn't unless requested by the Prime Minister (he can sack him aswell) because of the uproar us citizens would make... if that makes any sense at all...

Australia is going to be republic sooner or later. Queen/King are just a distant formality in Oz. It is really a joke that they "theoretically" can still fire our Prime Minister . LOL

oh, back to the Queen mum. It is always sad when any human being passes away. But I must say that during her VERY LONG life time, she had had her more than her fair share of luxury and respect than most other people. So she should be satisfied...

Actually you are wrong. If there is an ellection the prime minister has to get permission from the queen. Its stupid but true. I'm a UK citizen so I know what I'm talking about.

Wrong am I.

The Queen has NO political power.

Constitutional duty is not political power.

I know because I too am from England...plus Im over 18 and have voted. Plus I have served in HM forces.....So there!

Simon

So why don't other countries have a royal family?
Hate to bring this to you but Britain isn't the last kingdom. Other countries do have royal families. :p

I guess we have to give cheatpark a bit of leeway here, he is just a kid and hasn't heard of Richard Nixon, so I guess all these 3rd world countries like Sweden and Netherland's Royal families would be out of his league ;)

Back