• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

question (kinda gets me angry)

FeediaCo

why is it that people want free hosting but they have a legal license of vb? If they paid the 180 dollars(i think it is that) to buy it then why can't they spare 1-2 dollars for a donation or anything not even ads?

Because they want as much as they can get for free and as long as hosts provide silly offers of rediculous hosting resources with nothing in return, these people will continue to look for it.

why is it that people want free hosting but they have a legal license of vb? If they paid the 180 dollars(i think it is that) to buy it then why can't they spare 1-2 dollars for a donation or anything not even ads?

As I've said about when people buy expensive cars, purchasing VB means you HAD money, not that you have it now. :lol:

I know my IPB license took up a good deal of my web server upgrade monies.

I've never understood this either. Thats why I always have my shady-detection hat on whenever I see someone wanting to host it free.

Then again, its like buying nice furniture for a house that is falling apart, and I guess I can kind of see the logic.

Yeah, that's true. Not all of us have a lot of money .. and buying a VB license can set us back a ways.

As I've said about when people buy expensive cars, purchasing VB means you HAD money, not that you have it now. :lol:

I know my IPB license took up a good deal of my web server upgrade monies.

^^ So why overextend yourself? Hosting vBulletin for a larger forum can be very resource-intensive. Some free hosts allow it, but many don't. So why not go with phpBB or SMF, which would cost you nothing?

because ipb and vb are way better...thats only why they cost..duh

I bought IPB just for easy integration with my portal. I wanted to go with MyBB, but it isn't yet supported. But I haven't found one commodity yet to justify IPB's outrageous price tag.

Back in the free days of IPB, I always liked it, but never felt it blew away everything else far enough to justify a price tag like it has.

Now vB, the control panels and customization ability it has makes it my favorite, but yeah, the price tag isn't real fun.

I haven't tried myBB and some of the new ones that seem to come out every week, but I am sure for the large majority of people they don't need expensive licenses to vB or IPB.

And just to date myself a bit,
viva la IKONBOARD!

Back in the free days of IPB, I always liked it, but never felt it blew away everything else far enough to justify a price tag like it has.

Now vB, the control panels and customization ability it has makes it my favorite, but yeah, the price tag isn't real fun.

I haven't tried myBB and some of the new ones that seem to come out every week, but I am sure for the large majority of people they don't need expensive licenses to vB or IPB.

And just to date myself a bit,
viva la IKONBOARD!

MyBB is a VB copy. Works pretty darn good. And it's free :p.

LOL,, u think someone that wants free hosting paid £180 for a stupid forum package which u can get free alternatives which are if not same or better.

the answer is that they download them illegally of the net via different sources.

if i was a webhost..i would ask somehow to check that they had legal liscense for these forums.

cause i wouldnt any illegal stuff on my server

LOL,, u think someone that wants free hosting paid £180 for a stupid forum package which u can get free alternatives which are if not same or better.

the answer is that they download them illegally of the net via different sources.

if i was a webhost..i would ask somehow to check that they had legal liscense for these forums.

cause i wouldnt any illegal stuff on my server

$160. Theres a big difference between $160 and £180. :)

so what do you think if a web host is running a free forum software like phpbb, mybb, yabb, smt ?

I say good for him. You are already running quality open source OS's (if you're a linux host), why not continue the trend with open source forums, billing scripts, ect if they can do what you want them to do. To me it shows that the unselfish work of the masses can drive this world. So if I see a host using all free softwares, I just think he's found a neat way to make everything that's free work for his business. Of course, when ever I used a script commercially, I always tried to give some profits back monthly to them in a form of a donation.

I've used many free and paid forum softwares, and vB and IPB are NOT, I repeat ,are not Leaps and bounds better than phpbb3. In fact, many users can't even tell its phpbb3 if not for the copyright at the bottom if I skin the forum. They think its vB. I think too many people have the mindset of "Its a paid forum, it must be better", which is just not true. phpBB3 has all the features 99.9% of people will ever need.

Now as for hosting, I can safely say that paid hosting is MUCH better than free hosting with very few rare exceptions. Even oversold paid hosts are better than the vast majority of free hosts.

From a user prespective they are pretty much the same

pbpBB3 is still in beta form anm I correct? Even if so, with all the hacks, and ease of customizing the forum, why would someone pay 180$ for a simple forum if they are on a free host?

Paid products are better? I mean vB is the most secure board on the internet todate. Which is why it costs to buy. I prefer IPB because its more user-friendly in my opinion than both. I hate phpbb2 with a passion because it had like no admin features and all the stuff required had to be modded.

Paid Hosting is better than Free Hosting, however you won't notice the difference because both are on dedicated servers however Free-Hosting has like a 99% higher chance of shutting down unless they are funded.

If they have a valid license for the script, most likely it's because they save up money for the script and hence have no money for hosting.

Even smf and mybb got a solid security and if you compare mybb and vB, mybb has almost all the features of vB as default or as a mod, they only problem with them is that they don;t have a proper theme collection and talking about smf they got varied mod's which isn't is semi way of all other features.

Back