• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Rudy, the mystery dog

They are generally regarded as "unclean". And kids sometimes chase them with sticks. You should see some of the women with cats. They literally freak out when they see any. Definitely not a good place for a dog or cat to be. People keep their animals indoors and I rarely see dogs, if expats do own them they usually try and find accommodation outside of town with plenty of space and security to roam around in.

All the dogs we've had have been "networked" dogs, i.e. knowing someone who has had a litter and needed someone to take the puppies off their hands.
:)

That's so strange. At least to me. The vast majority of people here have some sort of animal, mostly dogs and cats. IIRC there are something like 70 million dogs here in the US. There's such a huge population that there are millions of homeless dogs living in animal shelters that adopt them out, hence why I'm weird about dog breeding. Here in the US there are so many dogs that need a home that it's irresponsible for the average person to breed their dogs. It's also why most dogs here are neutered or spayed.

The population is so big because most Americans love dogs. My family has tons. My parents have owned over 20 dogs total in their lifetimes combined, along with ducks, a chicken, and a wolfdog. People here seriously love animals. Right now my mom has the two terriers (Rat and Decker as mentioned) and wants to find another Decker now that she knows what they are. My dad has a Miniature Pinscher mix and will be getting a Catahoula Leopard Dog soon. My mom's girlfriend has a Silky terrier. My cousin has two Dobermanns. Three of my friends have Pit Bulls. My mom's neighbor has six Labradors. Her other neighbor has a Boxer-Lab mix.

Speaking for the US, but the same applies to most western nations.

Last edited:
Wherever I am I seem to get feral animals, just me I guess.

At the moment a couple of local dogs that are allowed (or prefer) to run loose, most likely uncared for or the kids think they're toys and treat them as such (the dogs ain't that stupid) but I always find a second or 2 to stop and pet them (hate that words 'pet them' but it seems the main words most people really know as stopping and stroking, quick scratch under the chin and just speaking nicely to them (they might not understand but they know the difference in kindness) and usually it's when I'm carrying shopping (told you their not stupid) so I've normally got something I can break open.

The cats too, a few ferals, with kittens (one mother in particular is trying to dump me with one, keeps bringing another round to see if I like it :lol:) usually get back from work to find one of them on my step, and again they tend to like the petting as long as it's accompanied by a bit of meat from my fridge! (they're cleverer than the dogs - meat first then pet me :lol: again).

And my bathroom ventilator fan is out of action - what does that have to do with this you may ask?
Bloody birds nested in it, it's full of chicks!!!

Thankfully I'm moving about 300 miles away in a week, bet that flaming cat still finds me though with another kitten on offer... :D - honestly I wouldn't even mind or be surprised.

At the moment a couple of local dogs that are allowed (or prefer) to run loose, most likely uncared for or the kids think they're toys and treat them as such (the dogs ain't that stupid) but I always find a second or 2 to stop and pet them (hate that words 'pet them' but it seems the main words most people really know as stopping and stroking, quick scratch under the chin and just speaking nicely to them (they might not understand but they know the difference in kindness) and usually it's when I'm carrying shopping (told you their not stupid) so I've normally got something I can break open.

The cats too, a few ferals, with kittens (one mother in particular is trying to dump me with one, keeps bringing another round to see if I like it :lol:) usually get back from work to find one of them on my step, and again they tend to like the petting as long as it's accompanied by a bit of meat from my fridge! (they're cleverer than the dogs - meat first then pet me :lol: again).

And my bathroom ventilator fan is out of action - what does that have to do with this you may ask?
Bloody birds nested in it, it's full of chicks!!!

Thankfully I'm moving about 300 miles away in a week, bet that flaming cat still finds me though with another kitten on offer... :D - honestly I wouldn't even mind or be surprised.

Cats be crazy. There are something like 20 feral cats in one of my friend's neighborhoods.

:D they can be but usually they're like someone with a sound business plan.

If you don't look friendly - expect to be scratched
If you don't look like you can provide - expect to be scratched
If you don't look like a soft touch - expect to be scratched
If your not a possible shelter in bad weather - expect to be scratched
If there are kittens and any of the above - expect to be scratched

Basically they ain't dumb.

I think cats are just the opposite from dogs. With dogs we get to adopt them, with cats they get to adopt the people they hang out with. I'm sure there must be something in people vibrations that attract them or put them off.
:)

That is right with anything other than a pretty much newborn kitten, they grow used to you being there, but they can still choose to sod off if they want (they will have a backup plan before they go - usually a lil old lady that's good for food but not a crazy one).

Strangely I didn't used to like cats at all, in fact hated them, it took house sitting and a cat that had just dropped 9 kittens to change that. The cat and 8 of the kittens didn't, it was just the one little runt that came to me on his own (much to his mums disgust, dragging him back to the litter several times before she gave up), being the runt of the litter I think he was looking for a big brother to help him out (smart cookie even at that age). So I kind of mellowed and it got cute as hell from then on in, he used to come round and meet me from work (was a good bit older by then) and spend a while then go back home, he used to bring 'presents' to everyone till he brought me one and got told off then apparently he stopped doing it altogether. Yep I could be crazy cat guy when I'm older (no sarcastic comments on that bit thanks)!

@Decker. Were you present with the 9 kittens being born? The most I've ever seen have been four or five. 9 kittens have to be something!

She knew, one of them kept wandering (the first one to walk and the p*ssed off look as she went to retrieve the wanderer was so funny :D

Back