• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Some tips to consider when looking for a new web host

Forward Web

I posted this on WHT and some other forums awhile ago, but since I am new here, I thought I would also share this information with all of you here. Anyway, Hope you find this information helpful..

- When selecting a web host, make sure the web host has been in business for at least 5 years (size doesn't matter, but how long the company has been in web hosting does). A good way to check for how long a web hosting company has been in business is by running a whois on they're domain name.

- Make sure the company you are going with has a phone number. This way if something goes wrong with your web site, you have an alternate method of contacting the company (other than email or support tickets).

- Last but not least, ask questions! Before you sign-up with a new web host, make sure you contact the company and ask questions. Then ask your-self the following, were my questions answered in a timely manner? Was the response professional and courteous? Asking questions will give you a good feel for what you can expect from your potential web host (and limit the chances of you having a bad experience). In short, don't be shy! It might save you time and money.

With that being said, at the end of the day its all about finding a web host that works for you. Dont take someones word for it, there are many good companies and there are bad companies. I believe if you follow the above points, you will have a better chance of finding a web host you can trust and depend on.

When selecting a web host, make sure the web host has been in business for at least 5 years (size doesn't matter, but how long the company has been in web hosting does). A good way to check for how long a web hosting company has been in business is by running a whois on they're domain name.
If web host in business for 4 years and 11 months it not worth to have a look at it?

Are you kidding?

If web host in business for 4 years and 11 months it not worth to have a look at it?

Are you kidding?

Thats not what I said, what I said is I would recommend going with the more experienced companies. There is obviously a lot less risk going with a company that has been around for 5+ years than that of a company that has only been around 1-2 years.

Nice advice, thanks. I guess the 5 year advice is simply a safeguard against shaky businesses that don't last very long. If it works, it works. Doesn't mean to say that there arn't any businesses younger than 5 years who are good. If you are a host not 5 years old yet, don't be alarmed by this advice. Soon you will be 5 years old, right? ;)

Nice advice, thanks. I guess the 5 year advice is simply a safeguard against shaky businesses that don't last very long. If it works, it works. Doesn't mean to say that there arn't any businesses younger than 5 years who are good. If you are a host not 5 years old yet, don't be alarmed by this advice. Soon you will be 5 years old, right? ;)

It seems everyone here like this suggestion, especially solid 4 year hosts...

If you are considering using a company and you are unsure of their reliability, you should always do some investigating beforehand.

The chances of someone posting a bad experience regarding a company is quite high. So if the company is providing a bad service, you shouldn't have a hard time finding someone that is willing to share their negative experience.

Simply put, a few minutes of searching for reviews and feedback on a company can save you a headache and the loss of money in the long run.

The chances of someone posting a bad experience regarding a company is quite high. So if the company is providing a bad service, you shouldn't have a hard time finding someone that is willing to share their negative experience.
You are right. But I believe if someone has bad experience with the company that does not meant you will have the same. ;)

- When selecting a web host, make sure the web host has been in business for at least 5 years (size doesn't matter, but how long the company has been in web hosting does). A good way to check for how long a web hosting company has been in business is by running a whois on they're domain name.

I actually disagree with this. I would say that 1 year is reasonable but 5 is a different story. I see many hosts that have been around for 5+ years but haven't updated their hosting plans in that time.

Apart from that you have some valid points though so thanks for sharing them with the community.

Jack

You said
When selecting a web host, make sure the web host has been in business for at least 5 years.

... and of course this is not a good advise. it is true that hosting provider that have been around for many years worth their share in the market. But how about ambitious new project especially in Cloud computing?

Web Hosting Solutions

A few things to keep in mind when shopping for a web hosting company are support, price, flexible web space, upload speed, and backup.

A few things to keep in mind when shopping for a web hosting company are support, price, flexible web space, upload speed, and backup.
Most of them are important ones but at the same time about most of them you will know once you try web hosting service.

Thats not what I said, what I said is I would recommend going with the more experienced companies. There is obviously a lot less risk going with a company that has been around for 5+ years than that of a company that has only been around 1-2 years.
I do not agree with this opinion.The new one does not mean the bad one,they would provide professional service to customers. Of course I mean the new one rather than a cheat one.

New ones have less reviews and it scares some clients, I'd rather choose reputation which means stability for me

Back