• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Equiline Foundation stealing money.

A few things:

Firstly, Jan and StuffRadio, I have no clue if either of you have ever run a legitimate business before (Internet or otherwise), but asking for ID during or after a purchase is quite common. Ever had to show your drivers license when making a credit card purchase in a store? How about when writing a check? They're protecting themselves from fraud. Hosting companies (some of the largest in the business, in fact) do the same thing, even though a payment had already been made. You scan the card, process the payment, and then ask for ID, either during the purchase or after, particularly if you think the order might be fraudulent.

Even though somebody makes an online payment, it could be fraudulent, stolen credit card, stolen PayPal account, etc. It's not at all uncommon for a hosting company to request a scanned drivers license, scanned copy of the credit card that was used to make the purchase, etc. If you don't want to do that, you can go elsewhere. Of course if you go elsewhere, you get your money refunded. ;) They certainly can't keep your money.

As far as the overcharging and no refund? I remember good ol' Johnny. He is a known scammer. Isn't he the same guy I reported to his Secretary of State for running an illegal business? Or was that someone else? I wasn't able to find the thread, but that would be some good ammunition for you as well, Sarmth, if it's the guy I'm thinking of.

I agree with wswd that it is ok for a host to ask for some proof of who you are. But in my experience it is sort of unusual. Out of the maybe 20 hosts I've been with 1 (dedicated host, 10 years ago) asked for a photo copy of my id. Two have called me on the phone to verify my number (officially they did this to welcome me as a new customer).

And yes, you obviously should get an instant refund if you don't wish to provide an id.

Most web hosts wouldn't ask for photo ID for an average client.

Orders that are suspicious or get marked as fraud are the ones that get asked for ID.

Anyway: Good luck with this situation and I hope you get your refund.

Webhosts that Do ask for ID should provide proof they are legitimate registered businesses, and should also request the ID during signup, and not after 2 payments had been made.

At the refusal of providing ID, a refund should be issued immediately.

This so called host did not operate within any form of legal perameter. Thus, scam and theft. They are Cyber criminals and I can't wait to hear back from the FBI about their arrests!

Webhosts that Do ask for ID should provide proof they are legitimate registered businesses...

Most would be happy to, I'm sure. The problem in this industry are that the majority of folks are not running legitimate registered businesses, but people keep purchasing from them anyway. Perhaps due dilligence in this case would have been to ask Johnny prior to purchasing hosting if he was a legitimate business. Not that legitimate businesses and business owners don't scam people, but the odds are far less likely. Apparently, it's completely okay to deal with an illegal business, and order hosting from them...until things go wrong.

...and should also request the ID during signup, and not after 2 payments had been made.

As several other people have said, there is no reason to request it during signup. It's not until the order gets reviewed and it looks suspicious or fraudulent. The two payment thing is a bit weird. If it looks suspicious, that would happen generally after the first payment, unless of course the 2nd payment is through a different means, or looks suspicious.

I have had several clients over the years, for example, that have paid 1, 2, even 3 or so times with legitimate credit cards or PayPal accounts, so as not to throw off our fraud systems at the begining. After that, they pay with either stolen cards or stolen PayPal accounts, on subsequent invoices. In those cases, sure, we'll absolutely ask for ID or scanned credit cards on the 4th or 5th payment. I can count probably on my two hands the number of times that has happened, but it has happened. Thieves are getting smarter. The first payment and initial sign-up is always going to be the most stringent, when it comes to doing fraud checks, but that doesn't mean you can just become complacent and accept every payment.

At the refusal of providing ID, a refund should be issued immediately.

Agree 100%. They have absolutely no grounds to keep your money, unless it's something you agreed to when signing the contract. I highly doubt that clause would be in there.

Hello,

As for not being legally registered this is false The Equiline Foundation is an IRS registered non-profit group currently pending 501(c)3 approval.

And as fr issuing a refund immedately how many times do I have to stress the point that ALL SHE HAD TO DO WAS CALL THE PHONE NUMBER WE PROVIDED, instead she argued about it and disputed the payment.

Hello,

As for not being legally registered this is false The Equiline Foundation is an IRS registered non-profit group currently pending 501(c)3 approval.

And as fr issuing a refund immedately how many times do I have to stress the point that ALL SHE HAD TO DO WAS CALL THE PHONE NUMBER WE PROVIDED, instead she argued about it and disputed the payment.

Equiline Data isn't though is it? Equiline Foundation is the cover you are using.

And as I have stated earlier, numerous times. I called the number, and was mocked over the phone, and treated in a rude manner. In answer to the preemptive question from worldofwisdom, being hung up on 5 out of 6 times, when it costs a substantial amount to make an international call from Australia to the US IS rude. In Melbourne Australia emphasising the word "MAAM" IS Considered rude. So do tell me. Under what legal grounds do you have to withhold my money from me?

Hello,

Whats up with that calling stuff any way? I have been a webhost from 1997 untill 2012 (recently quit) and I have never asked a costumer to call a number to get a refund.
Just a ticket did that trick and the clients will get a full refund within a week after they bought the product (excluding dedicated servers, domains and SEO services).

If you just gave the refund straight away you wouldn't look like sh*t on FWS.

This wasn't costing you much money, just $40. And now this thread will f*ck your companies name up for life.

@wswd I have never ran a Webhosting Business, I have only helped to run one or help maintaining servers/accounts. I am a freelancer though. I don't ask people for ID when they pay me... which is generally after the work is done.

Sure I remember speaking to him on Skype when I was looking into helping people with their free hosts quite a long time ago.

Searching his username/name on Google brings tons of info on him and his chums.

Has anyone noticed this? Is that you Natalie? I'm not convinced. :lol:

dae58997.png

You can see this by going to the Equiline Data site (http://web.equiline.me) then to the linked Twitter page (https://twitter.com/#!/clixinc) and on the About page (http://www.clixinc.com/about) - If you search the company number - http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/83532fc6b3db46856dfcbbea35eaa6a3/compdetails - their registered address is the same as a virtual office - http://www.londonpresence.com - Everything is strange. Even the Facebook page with your reviewers. Even if it was a real person, the fact "Jeremy Kyle" [with a lovely photo of a businessman looking pensive] likes their services actually made me laugh.

@wswd I have never ran a Webhosting Business, I have only helped to run one or help maintaining servers/accounts. I am a freelancer though. I don't ask people for ID when they pay me... which is generally after the work is done.

Consider yourself lucky that you've never fallen victim to fraud, assuming you haven't. You're setting yourself up for failure if you have a suspected fraudulent user and don't acquire identification or other identifying information. Hundreds of thousands of businesses ask for identification every single day.

worldofwisdom said:

Pending approval? Without the 501 (c)(3) Determination Letter from the IRS, you're nothing. As well, it is not normally the IRS that determines business status. Is your non-profit corporation-pending approval (i.e. not a non-profit corporation) actually a registered corporation somewhere? Doubtful.

Like how they tried to register as non-profit. How? Its not a non-profit organization as it is taking money, whether it be stealing or for services. So, they are lying to the IRS/federal government.

Like how they tried to register as non-profit. How? Its not a non-profit organization as it is taking money, whether it be stealing or for services. So, they are lying to the IRS/federal government.

Well every non-profit organisation has to take in money regardless if its from selling products / service or via donations. Its how a non-profit survives and does what ever it is they do.

So just because they are taking in money doesn't mean they are lying to the government about non-profit - It just depends on what they do with that money that they take in :).

Last edited:
Well every non-profit organisation has to take in money regardless if its from selling products / service or via donations. Its how a non-profit survives and does what ever it is they do.

So just because they are taking in money doesn't mean they are lying to the government about non-profit - It just depends on what they do with that money that they take in :).

A nonprofit organization (NPO) is an organization that uses surplus revenues to achieve its goals rather than distributing them as profit or dividends. States in the United States defer to the IRS designation conferred under United States Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c), when the IRS deems an organization eligible.[1]

They aim for a goal to obtain money.

Back