• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

I found the problem that was disturbing my layout, so here is the rough start for Round 2. Aloy Casmir gave me an account but I haven't loaded it yet. I have some backend unifying to do now as well.

http://taophoenix.paradoxservers.net/Tauceti.html

There are now two categories. On the left are accounts mostly "straight up" - available for anyone to get the package I am using. On the right are hosts who gave me manager coupons. Remember, this is a durability test, not a test of ad placement policies.

Turesweb

Seems they retired their earlier generation of free hosting. If so, Round 2 will "hiccup" since this is really a prior result. I missed it because I may be Grandfathered into a "private hosting" that is no longer available.

Messy Masses

what a mass..

Okay, I'm presuming you said my random new page is a mess rather than a church service.

That said, it's nice to see someone actually looking at my little project. Since I was figuring no one was actually paying attention, I went fiddling with the pages. I am leaning towards a new "brand" image like ReVision, as the current name was derived from my predilection to a Dan Simmons book from 15 years ago. (!)

In between my design shenanigans, all four hosts are currently up. I'm thinking this will be a boring round - I don't really plan to add many hosts this time... if they all survive, 3 of the 4 remaining will have been up for some 7 months, which starts to be notice worthy.

For those interested, the final result of the mess was this:

http://taophoenix.paradoxservers.net/ReVision.html

Load it on your phone and report back if it's "phone friendly". (Yes, I know it loads "small".... not sure why... so zoom in.)

Confusing

Actually i find the whole design layout is somewhat confusing....

Hey Aloy, did you find it confusing before, or just now since the "mess"? (And see the mobile version).

Long ago the design was meant for people with cheap setups and garbage resolutions. Then I decided to try to make a phone version that was even more sliced down. Also it came from an age when I thought "huge page=better", so it was supposed to sprawl into 66 pages. Then I never wrote the articles, so it became a wasteland. :)

Especially see that I redid the topics... never mind that the articles intended are not there yet... does the new mobile front page make sense Aloy?

That's a lot better tao .
Page load timings though , still need a little more of finetuning .
But it already looks a lot better on phone...

Aloy, the whole page is under 120K already. I can shave about 20 more k off to get at about 99 sharp, but below that it starts to look ugly on the pics. The green bars are 1 k each, but remember, *they are hosted on people's servers*, so if someone doesn't feed it, it's a sign.

Otherwise, we're so used to splendid page load times groundside, that (at least for me) in bad service pockets, mobile then is 3 times slower.

DarkKnight,
If you look way back at the first 10 or so posts here, I started a duration study of a few hosts here. I grew tired of one of the highest rates of abusive overselling in the computer world. It was an opt-in volunteer basis for hosts who got a bit of exposure in return for a version of public monitoring.

I put a bit of a game show spin on it, because it resembles a reality tv theme by now. Round 1 saw a lot of entries, half of whom *didn't survive 5 months*!

The ones for this round are three survivors from last time (plus newcomer Aloy of NumbHost.) By now you know they all have made it six months of monitoring alone, on top of how many years before that. (CWahi and IsMyWebsite are at something like 9 and 4 by now.)

Well if it's so , maybe you should image hosting sites for those graphics(i mean those belonging to your website) .
otherwise the structure is really good looking on phone too...

Hi Aloy.
I'm not sure I understand your note. You guys ARE the hosts... it's just a webpage. So however fast your servers are is what the public gets. Back in Round 1 we saw Finite going down with a crushed server. The primary page is hosted with mirror copies on all the hosts, but the green bars pull from ALL the servers at once. So using an "image host site" doesn't exactly make sense, because it's not exactly a speed test.

P.S. Darkknight, what that means is when a host starts to get in trouble, the rest of the page eventually loads, except one (or more!) of the green Host bars.

Last edited:
Back