• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Trade Embargos, Do you follow them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[MyG]Catlin

Trade Embargos, Who follows them?

Seeing as I am a U.S based Corporation, I follow the FTC and other government fractions. I'm pretty sure if your a registered LLC or Inc. that you have to follow them: http://www.bis.doc.gov/news/archive99/repts/embargod.pdf

Any law geeks want to tell us? :p

What is your all thoughts on it?

UPDATE: By advice given to me from my fellow hosting companies, because the we are a U.S Corporation, We will not allow freed or paid clients to be anyone in the following countries:
Cuba
Iran
Iraq
North Korea (Democratic Republic of Korea)
Sudan
Syria
China
Pakistan
Zimbabwe
Afghanistan
These countries are in a State of War with the United States or have a trade embargo against them.
See this page for more information: http://www.bis.doc.gov/news/archive99/repts/embargod.pdf
Hosting don't count as humanitarian aid. No services except humanitarian aid can be offered. Fedora won't even allow embargoed countries to download / use their OS. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distri...ortRegulations

Last edited:
Come on, it's free hosting. I think it's a little bit absurd to follow those rules! :rolleyes:

And Electrism is right: China is not on the list. You must have a really old copy.

U.S. is out of their minds anyway. :( There are so many things they do, both domestically and internationally, that are so stupid it just boggles my mind.

Its not a "they" its "Bush"

No, it's a "they". "They" includes the fat bastards in Congress who are too old and irrelevant to know their left hands from their right hands, and the idiotic American people who do not stand up for their rights, and continue to end up voting for two losers in the primaries, which means we have at least 4 more years of idiocy in the White House no matter which of these two retards wins the general election.

</rant>

I dislike China, too much bs from them, spam bots, etc so I added them ^^

free hosting. I think it's a little bit absurd

I do paid now only. I creased free hosting this morning at 12:00am EST

Free Services takes away from paid services and our company that has been doing them since 2003 decided last night in a twelve to three vote during the corporation that it wasn’t what we as a company wanted to take upon ourselves any longer. Plus the amount of abuse of the services, etc makes any free host not to try anymore.. Least with paid plans, they won't try to abuse as much

But on the great side we came up with a new motto “We Never Forget Who We Are Hosting”. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no law that stops you from hosting anyone from those countries.
  • You are offering a service; not goods
  • You aren't exporting anything

Embargoes generally only apply to exported goods. Seeing as you don't offer goods, and as such aren't exporting any; there is nothing to prevent you from offering a service to someone in one of those countries. (I could be wrong but that's from what I read in that document)

Free Services takes away from paid services and our company that has been doing them since 2003 decided last night in a twelve to three vote during the corporation that it wasn’t what we as a company wanted to take upon ourselves any longer. Plus the amount of abuse of the services, etc makes any free host not to try anymore.. Least with paid plans, they won't try to abuse as much

But on the great side we came up with a new motto “We Never Forget Who We Are Hosting”. ;)

So your users were left with nothing, all of a sudden? Or are you giving them time to transfer away?

I know HostGator does not deal with countries on the embargo list. For some reason I tried going to their site once and got an error message stating I was in a country under a US Embargo. Which I am in the US, so it made no since :S

Lol CS-Skylar.. You make me laugh :D

"At 12:00 am Eastern Standard time, MGSHosting Services Inc, also known as MyGamingServers Hosting Services Inc. officially shut down it’s free web hosting. Since the very first days of MGSHosting Services Inc. in 2003 under it's first domain, we at MGSHosting Services Inc. have provided Free Web hosting for years and this is a long time in the future to change it. All current free hosting client account's will remain open and free" said Company Executive Officer Catlin early this morning. This decision comes after a vote, twelve to three by MGSHosting Service’s board of directors following months of talk and debates about it behind closed doors late last night. "MGSHosting Services Inc. looks forward to meeting the demands of the hosting and gaming community with paid services for now on, including but not limited too, A new site design and feel, Shared Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Boxes, Resellers, Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Web Design, SEO Services, Webmaster services, install services, give aways and contests" Catlin also said. There has been no comment from most MGSHosting Services Inc.’s partners about the decision except for their Combat Studios and XXL Gaming Studios partners that they endorse the decision.

Nope TSO, A mass email/PM/WHMCS message was sent out to our free paid clients alerting them to this and telling them they would keep their free account for life, but for new clients, it is paid. I don't let our beloved clients hang. ;)

If HostGator does it, I will too I guess, they are god and we are their little men :p just kidding, but I am going to enforce the trade embargo...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope TSO, A mass email/PM/WHMCS message was sent out to our free paid clients alerting them to this and telling them they would keep their free account for life, but for new clients, it is paid. I don't let our beloved clients hang. ;)

Oh, good! That's what I was hoping you'd say! :D

If HostGator does it, I will too I guess, they are god and we are their little men :p just kidding, but I am going to enforce the trade embargo...

Thats just depressing. How do you think people in these countries will communicate with the outside world if they can't get hosting due to trade embargoes? Real genius move there, supporting free speech and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back