• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do you need?

YUPAPA

NLC
NLC
What do ppl need for Paid Hosting?
Same as those free hosting stuff?

Account Stuff:
==========
BIG Disk Space
MUCH Data Transfer
HIGH Bandwidth
FTP Accounts
FTP Access

Programming Languages:
==================
Perl
PHP
SSI
Free Scripts

Databases:
========
mSQL
mySQL
PostgreSQL

Email Stuff:
===========
POP3 Toyboxes
Email Aliases
Mailing List
Autoresponders
Mail Server
SMTP Server
IMAP

Others:
======
Cron Tab
DNS Manager
Custom Error Documents
Disk Usage and Transfer Usage Meter
Stats
Site Backup and Restore Option
Domain Hosting
Subdomains

O/S:
===
RedHat 7.2 (I am using this one)
What other O/S do you like?

Please don't say "ASP, Telnet, SSH, Anonymous FTP" because I won't provide them.
I am not sure about WAP.
My Control Panel is still under development. :(
And what else can you think of? Let me know.

Account Stuff:
==========
100 Disk Space
7-10 gb Data Transfer
1 ftp account enough

Programming Languages:
==================
Perl
PHP

Databases:
========
mySQL

Email Stuff:
===========
POP3 Toyboxes
Email Aliases
Mailing List
Mail Server
SMTP Server
IMAP

Others:
======
DNS Manager
Custom Error Documents
Disk Usage and Transfer Usage Meter
Stats
Site Backup and Restore Option
Domain Hosting
unlim Subdomains
wildcards

O/S:
===
anyone, except win

for 5 $ would be perfect for me :)

people need very different things for any kind of hosting, paid or free... some only need much space and transfer while some need very little space and transfer but support for all kinds of programming stuff and telnet access... you can´t please everyone...

generally i think space and transfer are quite important... as well as support for php, perl and mysql... subdomains and all the email stuff are good to offer too... those would be the most important things i think... as for operating system i would prefer Redhat or FreeBSD...

Same I need:

at least 100mb space
at least 10GB bandwidth(don't use nearly that much though)

Languages:
PHP/MySQL
SSI(like but not needed)
.htaccess

features:
E-mail boxes and forwarding
subdomains(unlimited)

Other stuff:
Really good support staff

Originally posted by spork
no, but you have the most important things...

No what? That's the point of my thread!
I want to know what other things ppl wants!
SO what other stuff I am missing?

All I need is...

150MG Space
20GB Bandwidth or more (plan on having a "remotely hosted" website)

PHP
Perl (CGI-BIN)
mySQL (10 Databases)

Thats it I think

Yupapa I think you have all the staff. The only thing that might make you lose customers could be your own control panel. Customers demand nowadays at least Plesk...they hate Ensim...many like Cpanel...nobody knows HSphere (although it's great). So when a customer of yours will see his friend's Cpanel...immagine. I don't doubt that you'll make a valid perl cp, but people need the "names"....you know that! Also your prices should be lower as you don't offer a known Cpanel...don't forget that...many will tell you...."hey! the other guy offers me the same with CPanel too!". This is my poor opinion.

I am not going to use CPanel or Plesk or Ensim
I am going to write my own (in Perl) because I want to make my hosting unique... and me want to make my control panel different or better than the others! And it really takes me a lot of time to do that.

Uhh, why don't you customize a Cpanal control panel then, It is possible.

Yupapa you should have "build your own plan" thing, if you want I'll write it in Java script for you :) Just cause I am bored and I need to practice my programming/scripting

I don't know JAVASCRIPT, but I know java-applet...
Why don't you do one and sell it for a few bucks??

Originally posted by YUPAPA
I don't know JAVASCRIPT, but I know java-applet...
Why don't you do one and sell it for a few bucks??
Hey not a bad idea, I guess I'll just start right now, it is pretty stinking simple. I started to make a form script and when I got to setting up the mailto recipient part, I realized that you can't do that with Java script because it has "Security restrictions" You can get by them but I figured it wasn't worth it.

But yeah I see your host becoming popular yupapa. When you ask what else would I need and then at the bottom say I won't add these, well your answer is in your post, all those things would help. But I think it is cool that you are gonna make your own CP again, I guess, as long as it gets the Job done

Programming Languages:
==================
Perl
PHP
SSI
Free Scripts
Add Python. Maybe not much used but it's small and it's free and seems cool enugh so there is really no reason not to have it.
Others:
======
Custom Error Documents
Rather allow as much .htaccess options as you feel are secure. Redirection, cache control...lot's of nice stuff there.
I am not sure about WAP.
Don't think this is a big deal either and a lot seem to have it. Could make a difference.

Originally posted by YUPAPA
I am not going to use CPanel or Plesk or Ensim
I am going to write my own (in Perl) because I want to make my hosting unique... and me want to make my control panel different or better than the others! And it really takes me a lot of time to do that.

Yupapa, writing a control panel, that will be better than the known panels it's really hard (don't want to say impossible). Immagine that you'll have only a small testing group (practically only your clients) which will make hard to eliminate bugs in short times. So the bugs will hit straight your customers , your server and you. Just think that Cpanel and Plesk have a huge testing base (as many use them) but still suffer from bugs. Something else...even if you create a great control panel many persons won't appreciate it at all. As they need the best the market can offer and your control panel cannot be the best at least for the first period. Don't know how your control panel works but all the others are something more than just an interface...think of this too. I understand that you want to save the money of the cp license, but saving some money today, doesn't always mean it that will make good to your business.

Back