• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do you use to make your website?

What do you use to make your webpage?

• Notepad

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Frontpage Express

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frontpage 98 and/or 2000

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Adobe Page Maker

• Hotdog

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Netobjects Fusion

• Netscape

• Dreamweaver

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Homesite

• Topsytle

• 1st Page 2000

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
i guess im nuts, but i find it amusing people would spend the extra time coding it by hand in notepad or some other text program when they could just use dreamweaver.

Now, i could understand why you would go to a text editor to work on your page when youre trying to implement a script... i always end up spending as much time in notepad as i do in dreamweaver.

also, in dw4 ultra dev there is a plugin for use with PHP commands... i think ultra dev was made especially for cfm (cold fusion) since allaire and macromedia teamed up.

Originally posted by foo55
i guess im nuts, but i find it amusing people would spend the extra time coding it by hand in notepad or some other text program when they could just use dreamweaver.

Now, i could understand why you would go to a text editor to work on your page when youre trying to implement a script... i always end up spending as much time in notepad as i do in dreamweaver.

also, in dw4 ultra dev there is a plugin for use with PHP commands... i think ultra dev was made especially for cfm (cold fusion) since allaire and macromedia teamed up.

You're not nuts, I used to use DW almost exclusively as well. However, there are some advantages to handcoding, such as cutting down on excess code (even DW has some), and increasing compatibility for browsers other than IE. However, for things like tables, which are a major pain in the ass to handcode, I still use dreamweaver. Oh, another good example is frames...dreamweaver sucks for framesets....

I still think it's a matter of how you and your brain works. For me a program with a lot of wizards and stuff is slower and more confusing. I also find it extremely boring to alter already written code. And I don't find anything if it isn't written "my way". On the other hand I don't want to repeatedly write the same thing over and over so I prefer a text editor with good features above Notepad. Guess it's a matter of finding the editor that match your personality and way of thinking and working and then live happy ever after. :)

Originally posted by meow
I still think it's a matter of how you and your brain works. For me a program with a lot of wizards and stuff is slower and more confusing. I also find it extremely boring to alter already written code. And I don't find anything if it isn't written "my way". On the other hand I don't want to repeatedly write the same thing over and over so I prefer a text editor with good features above Notepad. Guess it's a matter of finding the editor that match your personality and way of thinking and working and then live happy ever after. :)

Thats the ticket;)

I use a program called 1st page 200. Basically, I like html editors (not dreamweaver type ) because you can really cut down on a lot of unncessary coding. Secondly, it's more challenging although it's a bit boring some times. That is why I enjoy the shorcuts for common tags such as <br> ,<b></b> , etc

dreamweaver 4 (before it was such a pain to edit the raw code)

but I spend much of the time looking at the source code as that's the only way to get your pages really sharp

I
t saves you having to remember lots of options especially with css

Notepad alll the way baby!!!! I just use notepad as the editor and plain html code to generate the page.

Old school....

;)

HGW

1stPage 2000... Great program! Wish I could find the FTP plug-in for it though... Last time I checked, the link from their site was bad. :(

I prefer Front Page 2000. Its clean and I can always change the HTML code myself if i don't like something just by clicking on the HTML tab. 2000 doesn't mess up your code like 98 did.
I used Dreamweaver 3 last year when I wanted to do some things with layers, but I am not a fun of panels and generally i didn't like it as much as FP 2000. Is Dreameweaver 4 much better than 3? Maybe i should try it.

dreamweaver 4 is infinately better

WHY?

because you can now change between design mode and source code by pressing one button.

this may not seem like much but it saves hours :)

Back