• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What the hell is wrong with kids

KapTinKiRk

Yet another school shooting, this time in California. 2 people dead, 13 wounded. Kids knew he was gonna do it, even asked people to help him, but they thought he was joking.

What the hell drives kids to just get up one day and shoot everything in sight.

hhmm, writing as I watch TV, he is 15 and is in police custody. Some other kids actually took pictures and video taped as the shooting happened, police confiscated the cameras.

If you're in high school now you know just how much stress is put on students now. Especially in suburban schools, where kids are pushed further and further to overachieve. It was just a matter of time when the pressure put on kids began to have negative effects as shown by the recent school violence. I guess the stress just builds up and then its a matter of time before someone blows.

IMHO, it is the parents, not the kids. (And I am talking in general here so don't jump down my throat!)

I see it happen all the time. Parent's don't seem to want to take responsibility for their children's behaviour. They act up at school and complain that their child has been suspended and now what do they do with them. Both parents, if a child is so lucky to have 2 in the same home, work leaving children alone at home unsupervised. When they do get home from work they are too tired to find out what their children have been up to. School officials have their hands tied when it comes to disciplining the students. It used to be that the threat of the strap kept most kids in line. Now that there is no strap, all school officials can do is suspend - which just sends the kids out to get into more trouble.

It used to be when a kid broke something belonging to someone else, the parents would pay to have it fixed or replaced. Now they say, "tough ****". Kids learn from their parents' examples. No wonder they have little respect for other people's property.

It used to be kids had curfews. Now it is not unusual to see kids as young as 10 hanging around on the streets well after midnight. Tell me why a child that young is on the streets at that time? For what legitimate purpose?

Yes, guns and the media have played a role in this, but not to the extent that some people would like you to believe. Forced gun registration would not have an effect on situations like this. Illegal guns are easily obtained. Criminals do not register guns.

What is needed is stronger parental and community involvement. When a kid is in trouble, someone needs to care before it gets out of hand. Children have tough enough lives dealing with all kinds of stuff that some of us older folk never even dreamed of. They have not lived long enough to acquire the maturity needed to deal with a lot of it rationally and in an adult manner. They hurt. They need to stop the pain. They don't know how.

Parents: Teach your children how to deal with loss, disappointment, pain and feelings of inadequacy. Teach them how to cope without hurting others. Teach them how to live.

Here is Texas (jw should know this), the parents can be held accountable for their kid's actions. It should be like that in all states.

Then again, part of it in other states has to do with the laws. When I lived in Utah I started looking up some of their laws after I met some parents who got into trouble. At least in Utah anyway, kids are required to goto school. If they dont goto school, the parents can get huge fines. However, if a child doesnt want to goto school..but the parents make them goto school, it is child abuse. What choice does the parent have?

I like Texas, because Corporal Punishment is not illegal. My kids do something wrong, I can take the paddle to their @$$. And that sucker DOES hurt. In other states though, this is illegal. Other states take away a parent's rights to discipline their kids, and takes away people's rights to self defense. California is one of those states. Here in Texas, if someone breaks into my house and steals stuff, I can shoot him in the back as he runs down the street to get away, and it doesnt matter their age either. Dont try that in California though.....if a teen pulls a gun on you there, the only option you legally have is to stand there and let them shoot you, and hope you survive. If you defend yourself and you hurt the kid, the courts will be making a decision as to what prison they should send you to.

So no, it's not the parents in a lot of cases. It is the rediculous laws that give parents no legal rights to do a damned thing to ever prevent it from happening.

Isn't it a bitch that like every school shooting in the past 6-7 years or so seems to have happened in either suburban America, or a rural part of the country? It seems all we ever hear about is how bad and dangerous the inner-city schools are, but when was the last time a shooting occured in an inner-city school.

From what it sounds like, most of the time the kids that do these things are kids that get picked on and lash out this way. I've never understood why people have so much fun in making other's lives hell like that. Yes, we have kids that are pretty eccentric at my school and I don't hang out with them, but so many people just go up to their face and pick on them. It's really kind of sad for both parties

Although all the above comments are true and make sense, one cannot forget that the child's actions were created on his/her own. No matter how parents are treating their child, it still does not give the child an excuse to go to school with a gun and mow down everyone. Although discipline could prevent this from happening, the only major factor that would stop this action is the child himself.

Me parents beat my ass enough for me to now know wrong from right and good from bad. I'm the last person you'd see even as much thinking of shooting up a school. Its not the jail cell I'll be afraid of the most. Its what happens AFTER they release me and send me back home is what will scare the hell out of me.

Mom and Dad will BEAT MY ASSSSSS everyday till I get out of college with a degree in computer science(what I want to majo in) to show them I'm not a dumbass and they can stop beating my ass DEAD WHITE!:D

I'm 15, a teen, and I'm in middle school. I (kinda) know how most kids/teens are feeling, what they're thinking.

There are a number of reasons for kids to do things they normally wouldn't.

Number 1 on my list is peer pressure. It doesn't seem serious, you'd think it's easy to resist, but I'm telling you, it's not. Kids who aren't "cool" and "tough" enough are looked down upon, and people usually can't bear the pressure, so they just have to show their fellow classmates or the friends they hang out with how cool they are, and they do things to "prove" it, which can mean a prank joke on the teacher, or maybe a bit of shoplifting. Or maybe brining guns to school. What for? Just to earn some respect, and recieve "oohs" and "aahs". Really, it's just that simple.

Number 2 is family problems. If a kid is regularly beaten and tortured at home, or just get screamed at too often, the anger from the beatings is usually taken to school, where he "in return" bullies fellow schoolmates just for the heck of it. And he doesn't think it's wrong, he thinks "Hell, my parents do that all the time, why can't I? I'm not doing anything wrong!"

Number 3 is curiousity. They want to know what will happen if they do something outrageous. Or maybe they even do it "just for fun".

Or maybe kids these days watch too much TV, play too much violent games.

Or maybe the guy's just mental.

I've put my thoughts around quotes, please don't feel as I'm attempting to intimidate you in any way because of this. I just feel that these posts have the overall feeling of the thread.

Originally posted by Cagey
IMHO, it is the parents, not the kids. (And I am talking in general here so don't jump down my throat!)

Yep, I'd agree it's got large amounts to do with the parents. The basic fundamentals of discipline and the basis of all psychological behaviour, both provided by the parents.

Lex:I'm 15, a teen, and I'm in middle school. I (kinda) know how most kids/teens are feeling, what they're thinking.

There are a number of reasons for kids to do things they normally wouldn't.

Number 1 on my list is peer pressure. It doesn't seem serious, you'd think it's easy to resist, but I'm telling you, it's not. Kids who aren't "cool" and "tough" enough are looked down upon, and people usually can't bear the pressure, so they just have to show their fellow classmates or the friends they hang out with how cool they are, and they do things to "prove" it, which can mean a prank joke on the teacher, or maybe a bit of shoplifting. Or maybe brining guns to school. What for? Just to earn some respect, and recieve "oohs" and "aahs". Really, it's just that simple.

You've got a valid point about group mentalaty, although I think some people go a little bit futher. Some students will even go home and cry (these are 15 year-olds) over not being accepted into the 'cool' groups.

Yet when they're accepted into the 'cool' groups the drugs they have to take, and the kids they have to bash to get to stay is extremley high.

Number 2 is family problems. If a kid is regularly beaten and tortured at home, or just get screamed at too often, the anger from the beatings is usually taken to school, where he "in return" bullies fellow schoolmates just for the heck of it. And he doesn't think it's wrong, he thinks "Hell, my parents do that all the time, why can't I? I'm not doing anything wrong!"

I think this is a bit steered in the wrong derection, just my thoughts though. Parents may bash their children and or pressure their children generally have been doing so for years. Where is the foundation for their lives, not exisitant.

Number 3 is curiousity. They want to know what will happen if they do something outrageous. Or maybe they even do it "just for fun".

Normaly psychology and family theropy help, but there is always a yerning curosity in many.

Or maybe kids these days watch too much TV, play too much violent games.

Proven by a rescent study that playing Quake etc. do not effect a mentally stable person in any way. They had to get that way before the violence.

Or maybe the guy's just mental.

Through what you've said above it's most likley true, but not in a retarted way. A deprived way.

My advice to anyone in this situation;

Parents will annoy you, that's what they do best! ;) But if physical damage has been started or large amounts of abuse go and see a social worker or a school counsler.

If the 'cool' people at school annoy you, leave them. Get on with you own life, why worry about theirs? If they start to get physical don't be afraid to contact a student representive or a higher school authority. They will not mind you speaking to them and can often help.

Hmm... I better be off to school now! :)

I dont know, I never ran into peer pressure. I was one of those guys who enjoyed picking on the bullies. I liked fighting, but only with those I figured would fight back. The bullies rarely did. Bullies are only tough when they have the upper hand, or until they actually get hit. I was cool and had a lot of friends, went to a lot of parties, had girls claiming their kids were mine, etc (blood tests proved them all wrong...skanks)...but it was a matter of me doing my own thing, not what others would have liked me to do.

Heh, I remember this bully at one school in Cleburne Tx. His name was Robert Jackson and he was big. I think he had failed like three grades. Well, what was scary about this guy, even to me, was that he only had one hand, and his other arm ended at the wrist. Pure bone there. No-one wanted to get hit with that..LOL. One day, he decided to attempt to pick on me. Till then, I had avoided him. However, I got pissed and chased him all the way to his house. What's he do, he comes out with a pair of numbchucks. I'm like, dude, you only got one hand, how are you going to use those??

I remember one party, a buddy handed me a joint, I said I didnt want it. He was like, why not! it's cool and everyone else is doing it. Nobody bothered me about it again after I asked in front of everyone how cool a person with a bloody nose and a joint in his mouth would look...LOL..as a matter of fact, the joints seem to start to disappear real fast.

I had a different mind about things. I knew if someone else's fist could hurt me, then mine could hurt them. Regardless who they are. Knowing that, I was never afraid of bullies. Knowing that I was my own person gave me the ability to ignore peer pressure. And you know what? Most others thought that was kewl. You should try it sometime.

I think I still do things differently. I dont know what all, but one good example in the business is banner placement. All other fwp's put their ads at the top of your pages, and they are pressured by advertisors to do that. Where do my banners sit? Just one of many things...

Generally, just be your own person, and you'll be fine..

[Edited by Webdude on 03-06-2001 at 05:28 PM]

Glad I live in Canada and there's only been one school shooting in my province in the last couple years.

As to why kids do it? I" think it's simply they don't care. They have limited their choices to killing themsleves, or killing other people, or both. Any gun control law won't help this. If a kid wants a gun, they can get a gun. And knives will always be around.

And is it just recently that kids are resorting to violent behaviour? No way. They have, and always will be misguided and violent. Solution: Hell I have no idea. Maybe give kids a better way to vent frustration. Like Rugby instead of wus "sports" like baseball.

Like I said before, what I am really concerned about is the backlash on guns and their owners. Every time there is a school shooting, I recieve five more forms to fill out about my assault rifles. Case in point, Columbine. 3 days later, I had to take a psychology test to be able to keep my collection . After Arkansas, I had to take several gun safety courses, by gunlocks, and fill out another form. This is getting very sickening. I'm not some suicidal mad man. I'm not some redneck hunter. I am just a huge FBI/CIA/SWAT fan. In fact, I am planning on joining the CIA as a life-long dream. This kid was a coward. Not only has he ruined his life, but he has hurt the lives of millions of others.

I think that humans are evolving, and that kids are growing more rapidly than usual making them less controlable. I remember looking at some old newspapers and noticing that the men were no where near as big and tall as the high schoolers of today. Now many adults are overweight while their children are huge and I think that children have more control over the family, not just a dictatorship deal where the parents rule. In other words, kids are no longer obedient(sp?). They are intelligent and think for themselves and parents just can't tell them to do something anymore. The immediate response is "Why?" in many cases. The parents usually respond with the "I'm your mother/father, that's why". This leads to rebellion and children no longer listen. The parents loose complete control and kids do whatever the hell they want to. Lots of parents are not as responsible is another problem. I know fifteen year old kids in my school who's parents let them smoke, and even give the fags, what's up with that? I also know some kids who are allowed to drink which is stupid IMO. A lot of parents don't give a flying **** anymore and I see that as one big friggin' problem. Well, I'm kinda right, but not really. I better stop rambling.

It's a matter of perspective. I have let my kids drink alchohol. Course, what I did was put really hard liquor in a beer can, but now they cant stand to get around the stuff. I drink very little actually because only at a party (here or elsewhere) or at a club. So early in life I gave them a total dislike of alchohol. I can make them behave by saying if they dont get their room clean, I am going to make them drink a shot of tequila. It works now, and hopefully it will work later...at least they learned about alchohol from me and not their friends first.

I reward the kids for doing good, and am extremely harsh when they do bad. They are learning to think about the consequenses of their actions. They are 4 and 6. They do their own chores, most of the time they make their own food, and they clean the kitchen when they are done. That teaches responsiblity and independence. Beyond all this, there is little more I can do. I can only hope that what I drill into them now, will stick with them throughout their life. As a kid, I went thru various children's homes, and was on my own at 14 and on the streets. I can only raise them in a way that I think may have made a difference with me had someone done them....and use the few things that DID work with me.

My kids are proclaimed by other parents as extremely respectful and well behaved kids. So far, I think that shows I am doing the job correct. I see a lot of kids throw fits when they dont get their way. Mine say "Ok" and go find something else to do (-:

I sincerely believe in "Spare the rod, spoil the child". Too many parents, instead of doing what they should, simply get mad and tell the kid to get out of their face..which is just laziness. Others take it too far and actually degrade the child, this is very bad especially in front of others. Then these parents wonder why their kids rebel...My ex-wife with my oldest son is a perfect example. He is now in a kid's jail somewhere for burglary. Before our breakup, he was a very good kid. A few years later, he was rotten.

So remembering my hard childhood extremely well gives me the ability to see it from a kids viewpoint. Being a parent who's child was in the other parent's control after a separation gives me that experience. And having kids under my guidence that are as good as they are, gives me more experience, and the knowledge that I must be doing something right.

But do you think any shrinks or politicians would listen to me? Nope. It is true when said that the people who know how to raise a child the best are those that have University Degrees, but no kids.

I just came home school and there has been ANOTHER school shooting in Williamsport, PA, just 50 miles from where I live! I guess some 14 year old girl shot another girl. No one died.

Back