• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What the hell is wrong with kids

Woohoo! Someone with a brain. :) I'm amazed .. there's actually people out there like this :)

The guy that brought a gun to my school got arrested because someone told the administrators. The people who knew and did NOT tell were suspended in addition to the arrest.

It is parents AND the kids. Notice how this world is screwed up? None of these should've happened. Dumb parents for not overseeing their kids and telling them to flip off when the kids have a need or concern. Dumb kids for not stepping up and saying that there might be a potential threat when the shooter made comments about it. It's a joke. The parent is portrayed to be the "idiots" in normal situations. Ever hear of spare the rod and spoil the child? Well, look at this... if you spare the rod, and spoil the child, you won't care what the child gets him/herself into and this is exactly what happened.

All I'll say is:

PEOPLE: Get your head out of your ass and start taking the responsibility you've been entrusted with. We don't need this happening EVER again.

Originally posted by Cagey
IMHO, it is the parents, not the kids. (And I am talking in general here so don't jump down my throat!)

I see it happen all the time. Parent's don't seem to want to take responsibility for their children's behaviour. They act up at school and complain that their child has been suspended and now what do they do with them. Both parents, if a child is so lucky to have 2 in the same home, work leaving children alone at home unsupervised. When they do get home from work they are too tired to find out what their children have been up to. School officials have their hands tied when it comes to disciplining the students. It used to be that the threat of the strap kept most kids in line. Now that there is no strap, all school officials can do is suspend - which just sends the kids out to get into more trouble.

It used to be when a kid broke something belonging to someone else, the parents would pay to have it fixed or replaced. Now they say, "tough ****". Kids learn from their parents' examples. No wonder they have little respect for other people's property.

It used to be kids had curfews. Now it is not unusual to see kids as young as 10 hanging around on the streets well after midnight. Tell me why a child that young is on the streets at that time? For what legitimate purpose?

Yes, guns and the media have played a role in this, but not to the extent that some people would like you to believe. Forced gun registration would not have an effect on situations like this. Illegal guns are easily obtained. Criminals do not register guns.

What is needed is stronger parental and community involvement. When a kid is in trouble, someone needs to care before it gets out of hand. Children have tough enough lives dealing with all kinds of stuff that some of us older folk never even dreamed of. They have not lived long enough to acquire the maturity needed to deal with a lot of it rationally and in an adult manner. They hurt. They need to stop the pain. They don't know how.

Parents: Teach your children how to deal with loss, disappointment, pain and feelings of inadequacy. Teach them how to cope without hurting others. Teach them how to live.

if parents would put gun locks on and keep the key with them

Gun Control SUCKS

with all these gun control laws myself and my uncle and cousins have lost alot of classics, my uncle has lost alot on money

Originally posted by rperkins
if parents would put gun locks on and keep the key with them

Don't you think that ANY child over the age of say 10 would know how to unlock them???? It's really not that difficult with or without a key.

Gun locks are an excellent preventive measure against ACCIDENTAL shootings, not the type we are talking about with the schools.

Originally posted by cowax
I guess some 14 year old girl shot another girl. No one died.

The day it happened we were in fifth period. A girl said something to the effect of "Isn't it strange how none of the shootings were done by a girl?". Of course, everyone 'knocked on wood', and laughed it off. You can believe how surprised everone was at school the next day when they found out a girl commited a school shooting.

Webdude- I like your comments.

I think it has something to do with TV and video games. I know no one likes to hear it, but, i mean, there is violence everywhere, and with so much you sort of get used to it. Violence and killing and stuff on tv is usually without consequence-- especially if its the good guy going on a rampage against evil. kid gets bugged thinks hes a good guy and the bullies are the bad guy. shoots em then realises that in real life he gets to go to jail. and be even more haed than before.

Still there is no excuse for killing someone, especially in school.

It takes a whole community to raise a child

If someone is in high school or junior high then they know the difference between right and wrong. If they are so messed up that TV convinces them it's allright to kill, then they are a ticking timebomb that is going to eventually go off. It's just a matter of when. If not now, then they would probably shoot up their workplace.

Thats true, I love to play games such as quake and counter-stike and watch violent movies but I would NEVER even think fo going on a shooting rampage. I think ti has more to do with the person's values and mental state then anything else. There are warning signs too..

Of course there are allways the nutcases who just don't give a f*ck.

I think it works in the subconcious. the person gets desperate enough that there is no trace of common sence left. its just the devil on the shoulder talking

I agree with Gayowulf. It's a subconscious thing. I'm not saying movies and games make people want to go out and mimic them (although it does happen often), but there is a certain degree of subconscious activity.

You can sit there and watch massacres on the tv, then go on your own massacre in quake and say it's not affecting you, and it probably isn't much, but your subconscious is taking it in, and you are in SOME form or another affected by this violence whether you believe it or not; for the average person it will desensitise you or some such.

My wife and I were discussing some things. The main thing that however bad you were as a child, will come back 3x to you from your children. Anyone noticed how true this is turning out? I think the proper explanation to it is that most parents are a little bit more lenient than their parents were....so it turns out, their children realize what they can and cant get away with. As children get away with more over each generation, they become more violent.

Where does this leave us in 40 years?

Did you know there are about 1 million people in prison within the United States? Did you know it costs the American people $4.6 billion a year to take care of them? Who's the real victim of their crimes? Instead of throwing away the key, we should flip the electric chair switch and walk away...

Originally posted by Gayowulf
Webdude- I like your comments.

I think it has something to do with TV and video games. I know no one likes to hear it, but, i mean, there is violence everywhere, and with so much you sort of get used to it. Violence and killing and stuff on tv is usually without consequence-- especially if its the good guy going on a rampage against evil. kid gets bugged thinks hes a good guy and the bullies are the bad guy. shoots em then realises that in real life he gets to go to jail. and be even more haed than before.

For this philosopy to work, it would mean that EVERYONE would be affected by the violence on TV, movies and video games. That is obviously not true.

The same thing has been tried in regards to today's music. That it is the violent music that makes kids behave this way. Again, it does not affect ALL TEENS this way.

The same reasoning has been tried to explain why people molest children. "Because it was done to them as a child". Following this line of reasoning, you would then believe that every person who was abused as a child would become a child abuser themselves.

It is not the violence on tv, music, games. It is not the music. It is not the previous molestations. It is in how the child copes with what is in the world. Effective parenting would teach a child effective coping strategies.

That being said, I do agree with your viewpoint regarding the casual acceptance of violence in our everyday lives. This acceptance does make us tend to become immune to the violence around us. If violence becomes a socially acceptable thing, as divorce became not so long ago, there will be no turning back. Heaven help us then.

Cagey

I seen a project they did on T.V. w/ teenagers and guns.
Turns out that like 7/16 teenagers in one place took the gun w/o telling the person thee doing the job for.

One thought it was loaded (it was but it was disabled) and he tryed to shoot his friend :O.

If kids copied videogames they'd be like pacman, running around in circles in dark rooms, listing to repetitive music, and taking lots of pills.

Err, wait... Uh, I think I agree. Videogames DO have an effect on children. The idea that everything is going to be more realistic is the problem as far as I can tell. I'm sure children would have never imagined it in the 8-bit days, but now with scan-mapping actual people to look realistic is freaky and for children the line between reality and not reality becomes transparent.

Yeah, but only for kids who can't tell the difference between virtual reality and reality.

I really don't know why everyone is blaming this on the video game industry. I think this is BS. Its the school, the parents, and phsycological problems. I'm in 10th grade I see lots of sh*t being put on kids by other peers. Of course, I wouldn't shoot down a school because of this...

I don't believe it's any one thing; rather it's a combination of factors that is causing these massacres - by children, for heaven's sake!

But speaking of video games, the issue is not whether or not a teenager can keep the line between fantasy and reality distinct; that issue has been proven with D&D and related roleplaying games. Incredibly realistic - and violent - video games are just another incarnation of roleplaying games such as D&D. And trust me, there have been enough cases of people who lose touch with reality because of D&D, and the like.

The problem with these video games is not that teenagers can't discern between reality and virtual reality, but that these games intentionally blur the lines. The point is to make a game so realistic, so enticing, that it draws its players into its realm - like a book, almost, but much more vivid and lifelike. For a child who spends even just an hour a day on such games (and that's a minimum), the line between fantasy and reality slowly becomes blurred. And there comes a point when the two merge...or the philosophies of one carry over into the other. And when the violence is the dominating force - there is no way to be kind in these video games and still get to the next level - that dominating force carries into the real world.

The same concept can be applied to TV, or any medium - even books, although they are not quite so "in-your-face," and thus pose less of a danger. Unless, of course, one is reading lots of violent books 24 hours a day. :)

But most of all, as these teenagers grow up, and as more and more violence occurs, I find one thing to be the culprit. It is the fact that there is no decency left. In a world of relativism, what do you expect a child to do? School says one thing, parents say another, peers give another perspective, TV and video games bombard yet another message, and the child is left to find their own morality.

I firmly believe in someone's right to be able to believe what they want. However, there is a big, bold line between cowardice and respect - and it seems to me that people today, particularly those who call themselves Christian, are falling on the side of cowardice. In an effort not to offend, we have created a greater offense - murder.

Reading over some of the posts, I came across a message by someone - I'm afraid I can't remember their name - but they stated that people were gradually evolving.

Sorry to push 'my' morality here, but doesn't it stand to reason that if someone is told that they are merely a cosmic accident, a being without a soul, a spirit, or a reason to live wisely, are we not creating such occurences?

A superpower...a super-race...a people who were gradually evolving...evolving towards a higher, god-like, supreme race...

Dear God, if the Holocaust was terrible, what will we, in an age of electronic tracking and record-keeping, do to keep those who are deemed unfit to live safe...?

I dont know If any of you have seen the show A Clockwork Orange directed by stanley kubrik; it is about a group ao youths you like to partake in acts of "ultraviolence". The leader gets caught, and his love of violence is "fixed" in an unusual way. the doctors force him to watch acts of violence untill it makes him sick. they have him in a straightjacket tied to a chair and his eyelids kept open. By the end of the treatment even thinking about violence brings on attacks of nausea. Maybe this would be a good treatment for the school killers.

Back