• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What the hell is wrong with kids

Originally posted by Victoria7
Reading over some of the posts, I came across a message by someone - I'm afraid I can't remember their name - but they stated that people were gradually evolving.

Sorry to push 'my' morality here, but doesn't it stand to reason that if someone is told that they are merely a cosmic accident, a being without a soul, a spirit, or a reason to live wisely, are we not creating such occurences?

A superpower...a super-race...a people who were gradually evolving...evolving towards a higher, god-like, supreme race...

Dear God, if the Holocaust was terrible, what will we, in an age of electronic tracking and record-keeping, do to keep those who are deemed unfit to live safe...?

I think someone misread my ramblings.

Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with violent games and movies. For instance, a kid sees a guy "solving" his problem by shooting someone in a movie... let's suppose a similar problem occurs to the kid, he'll prolly think the only way of solving that problem is by shooting the other guy, whereas kids who watches "educational" programs like Barney :)p) will solve the same problem by singing "I Love You", etc.

It's just how the stuff you see everyday can possibly influence your decisions, can possibly affect the way you act.

Sing Along: School Teen meets Barney!
I love you
You love me
I shot Barney in the knee
with a great big gun that I found in a drawer

*No more purple dino-saur*

When you consider the number of students in the school system it's not suprising that some events of irrational violence take place. Those people who do school shootings, etc obviously have severe mental and psychological issues. No matter how much you try to educate people and stop violence, there's always going to be a few -- it's inevitable when there are millions of people involved.

I'm just suprised at how much media coverage these events get. Do I see when some man who feels his life is worth nothing, as some of those kids apparently did, goes and shoots a convience store clerk all over the news? No, they don't spend a week of coverage over the thousands of rapes that occur or the shootings that occur in cities either.

-mk
atlascgi.com

Originally posted by atlas

I'm just suprised at how much media coverage these events get. Do I see when some man who feels his life is worth nothing, as some of those kids apparently did, goes and shoots a convience store clerk all over the news? No, they don't spend a week of coverage over the thousands of rapes that occur or the shootings that occur in cities either.

-mk
atlascgi.com

This is something I also am very surprised at. The day after the school shootings, I was watching MSNBC, and they devoted a bunch of time talking about how many "copy-cat" or threats were made. It was absurd, especially after all these media outlets said that they would stop devoting so *much* attention to any kind of school violence. I mean, MSNBC even reported a freakin' bomb threat in this little segment. I'm willing to bet about 75% of school students in the U.S. have experienced a bomb threat at one time or another. That's not something that should make the national news.

Are bomb threats a regular occurance there?

My school never had one, and I don't know of any one that went to a school that ever had one (here in Australia).

Neither do we get bomb threats here. All we get are kids bringing huge knives to school and hiding it in the ceiling - some kid who knew told the teacher, that's how they found out.

Oh, yeah, gangsters sometimes show up on the school grounds too, and our security guy (one dude, and he's well into his sixties) doesn't (can't) do a thing about it. So there was this fight once, and a kid got stabbed in the leg, and all the teachers chickened out and just watched with the crowd. 'Course, you can't really blame them. They've got blades - you've got your knuckles.

That's the worst thing that has ever occured at my school.

Well, there have been two bomb threats that I have experienced at school in the past 4 years. One at my junior high when I was in 7th grade, and once at my high school when I was a freshman (2 years ago). Of course, neither one amounted to anything, and it wasn't much more than a really long fire drill.

We've had more than 5 in the county just this year. And they say the country is a quiet place...

Back