• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why are people still using HTML?

Originally posted by Wojtek
and maybe 5 yrs from now its gonna be zhtml? who knows? we shall be prepared for the worst! :biggrin2: :rolleyes:

To tell the truth I never knew there was such thing as html 2.x or html 4.x or even xhtml :p

As long as
PHP:
<html>
<head>
<title>Wojtek's Website</title>
</head>
<body>Wojtek dosnt know html</body>
</html>
works im happy :p

Good old way is the best.
For instnce I looked at my friends web creation class book and one stupid thing I remember instead of using the <I>text</I> tag, they said to use some <cite>text<cite> tage to do a citation :confused2 Whats the diff between <I> and <cite> except that cite takes longer to type?

That works as xhtml... it's all lowercase, all tags are closed... so what are you talking about? :D oh and by the way, it's now <em> not <i> or <cite>. And instead of <b>, it's <strong>. But really, you guys have to understand that a lot of these HTML tags will become deprecated whether you like it or not, it's the way of the internet, deal with it :D

Originally posted by Ryan_man
That works as xhtml... it's all lowercase, all tags are closed... so what are you talking about? :D oh and by the way, it's now <em> not <i> or <cite>. And instead of <b>, it's <strong>. But really, you guys have to understand that a lot of these HTML tags will become deprecated whether you like it or not, it's the way of the internet, deal with it :D
But I dont understand why change them if it works?
What do you want to achive using xhtml?
either <em> or <i>, does the same thing, so why the whole fuzz?

Ryan_man,

is it also the wave of the future to steal amazon's layout and use it for yourself? Oh wait, they use HTML and you use XHTML... I see now.. it's DIFFERENT.. ahh..

I don't see why you are all whinning "HTML is the standard, billions of people use it, xhtml will never be the standard, you're crazy, that lamp has no feelings..." when the fact is, microsoft is already using XML for a lot of it's server applications.
And I don't understand why you're here whining about XHTML and its o-great-and-mightyness and denying everybody who doesn't agree with you.

I tend to agree with LeX. While XHTML is okay, I don't see any reason to switch all my sites over to be completely compliant. They render ok in all major browsers (and most minor ones) so who cares?
And as for depreciated tags...I still use <i>, <b>, <u>...etc...when I'm not using CSS. They still work and they're easier to remember than <em> <strong> etc.

Look, the fact is, you close all tags, and you're prepared for anything that might happen to HTML, stop being all so objective and lazy and just close the darn tags.
Close the tags??

<b>text</b> = thats closed right? how can you close it more?
<b>text = wont work will it?

Close tags means including the ommittag...<br />, <hr />, etc. Also tags very few people close, like <li> and a tag a lot of people used to not close, <p>

I know it is. Most people do <p> without an </p>. I wasn't saying that it's <p />. It seemed like I was...yeah...
kthxbye

Ryan_man is like a little mini Guitarnerd. :classic2:

I'm going to compare what you said to classic cars, no matter how much you try to say that it's irrelevant. All these new cars, with ECU's and distributorless ignition and all that stuff. Where the classics, all mechanical, have less to mess up. You won't change the minds of people who love the classic cars (HTML) (No replacement for displacement!), even though you may say miniature cars with superduperhyperfueleconomy front-wheel-drive four-banger and a displacement of 100cc's (XHTML) are the way of the future.

In other words, until you tie me to a tree and beat me over the head repeatedly with a large stick, I'll use HTML.

Lol, I love this. You know, i've going to save this topic to my website, including your e-mails. When XHTML takes it's place, then I will e-mail you in BIG huge bold letters saying "I TOLD YOU SO". I'm not dismissing anyone who doesn't agree with me, but since everyone disagrees with me, it shows i'm standing my own ground. Fact of the matter is, i'm done talking to people who just won't accept new and different things.

Hey, PHP 5 is coming out very soon. PHP 4 works just fine, and all the browsers still support it, so nobody better go switch to PHP 5 now. Yup, PHP 4 is used by millions of people, there is absolutely NO REASON to switch to a new language standard.............

I'm done here, you are all too close minded to be argueing such a topic like XHTML vs HTML.

For now on, I won't even bring up new and different topics on these forums because i'll just get gang raped again.

If you want to start a discussion, then finish the discussion. As for PHP 5, there are actual changes and improvements. As for XHTML, I don't consider adding extra closing tags for no reason an improvement. If, like you say, there are new tags in XHTML 2.0, that sounds interesting, but while many users are still using old browsers, it's not worth implementing yet.

You're going to tell us, "I told you so" are you? Why is it such an issue to you? The fact of the matter is that HTML works fine for what it is intended for. Can't you see why people think using XHTML instead is pointless?

Maybe people here don't care about how it's coded. I know I don't. What's important to me is that my page itself displays how I intend for it to display. HTML does not fail this in any regards. Therefor, what is wrong with HTML? Nothing.

You may be 'done talking with people who wont accept new and different things' or whatever, but maybe -you're- the one who wont accept that HTML is a legitimate tool that, since it works, is a perfect tool for people to use to craft webpages.

Like Kev said, PHP4>PHP5 is a completely different thing than HTML>XHTML.

I'm done here, you are too close minded to be argueing such a topic like HTML vs XHTML.

For now on, I won't even discuss topics with you on these forums because you'll just complain again because nobody agrees with you.

Dude, Ryan_man, there goes your rep...you start a topic, it degenerates, and now you leave in a huff because your evangelising didn't change anyone's mind. So what?
And like [er, someone] said, most browsers still support most of HTML 1.0! It's very highly unlikely that with the current state of XHTML
1) It's any better
2) Browsers will stop supporting it

Now, if XHTML gets like PHP5 and actually has some REASONS to recoding all my sites into it, I'll consider it. As it is, I don't see any compelling reason to recode my sites.

PHP and other scripting languages are server side. So it is impossible to integrate such functionality into XHTML/HTML.

XHTML encourages standards compliance and correct coding, as well as coupling CSS for styling, making it possible to make a website usable in any internet enabled device if used appropriately.

Of course you can continue to use HTML. It will still be supported for many years to come.

Originally posted by notnamed
now you leave in a huff because your evangelising didn't change anyone's mind.
You're not American? :eek: Or maybe I have you confused with someone else...

Originally posted by Ben
In other words, until you tie me to a tree and beat me over the head repeatedly with a large stick, I'll use HTML.
Shush, Ben! Don't give him any ideas. :D

I don't feel like typing <br />. However, I do close all my <td>'s and my <li>'s, so I suppose I'm better than most people. And I don't use <p> tags at all.

What's the point of creating a language that makes the webmaster do more work? I don't give a damn if XHTML is more powerful -- all I want from HTML is speed and simplicity. And IMO, HTML has delivered in that regard.

Originally posted by X-Istence
My current mainsite is HTML 4.01 compliant, and my new template for my new site that i am creating is gonna be XHTML 1.1 Strict ( There is no transitional ) compliant, and so far it is compliant :).

For some reason i auto add the closing tags, and i dont even think about it anymore, same with CSS.

Personally i do care about validation, if its valid, that means any browser that supports that format can display it like i wanted, if i make it towards one browser, another might see it totally different.

O well, my personal oppinion.

<td> tag cant contain a height="100%" since height is not even in HTML 4.01, and it only works in IE. Background is for IE only as well.
I find XHTML 1.1 damn strict... I just experimented, I can't seem to figure out how the ---- I use fonts and stuff... they are considered deprecated...

Originally posted by trenzterra
I find XHTML 1.1 damn strict... I just experimented, I can't seem to figure out how the ---- I use fonts and stuff... they are considered deprecated...

Then use transitional :D

the <font> tag is not supported by XHTML. I usually use CSS myself, for the change of fonts and such. Of course, when you want to change font's, you can change it through the <p style="font: arial;"> or something like that.

Then use transitional :D

the <font> tag is not supported by XHTML. I usually use CSS myself, for the change of fonts and such. Of course, when you want to change font's, you can change it through the <p style="font: arial;"> or something like that.
show me the substitute tag for <font> then without using <p><style> can only be used in headers

Originally posted by trenzterra
show me the substitute tag for <font> then without using <p><style> can only be used in headers

What are you talking about. it's not <p><style>. it's <p style="font: arial;"> and that will work anywhere. You can also add it to <td> tags, <td style="font:arial;">

Back