• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why are people still using HTML?

Ryan_man

I am taking this topic out. Why? Because it seems that everyone on these forums disagree that XHTML is a superior language over HTML. Even though XHTML's differences are very slight, and you get much better stability, people feel that it's a bad language because they have to add a few more characters in their coding.

Even though i've taken 3 college course's on website design, and all of my professors agree about XHTML, I still seem to know nothing about HTML and XHTML. Everyone else must be right, nonetheless, I will continue to code MY pages in XHTML, and everyone else can continue to use HTML, even when HTML no longer support new technologies. Enjoy! I'm out.

Last edited:
Some people are more concerned with the content of a site than with the presentation of that content.
Besides reducing server loads and bandwidth.
Personally, I don't like to bury my sites content with flashy gimmicks. I like to keep it simple so the site is about it's content, not how jazzy I can build a page.

Huh? What does that have to do with what I was saying? Having code that won't be deprecated in 3 years is flashy and gimicy? Right... I guess I miswell go back and code in XBASIC.. because VB6 is too flashy...

Maybe because... HTML works?!

No need to fix it if it's not broken.

Besides, embracing "the future" doesn't mean we have to completely stop using things "of the past".

Because Photoshop doesn't slice in XHTML. Does anyone honestly think they're going to go through hundreds of lines of HTML to add close tags to everything?

XHTML is more hassle than it's worth, it provides hardly any benefits to the current HTML, if any.

Xhtml is great and all but, it's really just a waste of time. When I need to move Xhtml i can just write a script to replace the few tags the xhtml changes. Right now there are no benifits at all.

Obviously you guys didn't do a lot of research.

It's not that XHTML has visual differences, nor does it provide much more features. It's much much for stable than HTML. It's the difference between HTML 2.1 and HTML 4.1. The reason to switch to XHTML is because HTML will not WORK in 2 or 3 years.

I wasn't saying for people to go back and say have yahoo.com change everything over to XHTML, i'm saying, when people are creating new websites, they miswell use XHTML. If you create the website in XHTML, then you won't have to worry about converting 1000 pages of HTML to XHTML in a few years from now. It's not called "embracing the future", it's called PREPARING FOR IT.

I'm sure anyone who has taken a website creation course will agree with me. That is, if they were taught right and had a well headed teacher.

Photoshop 7.0 does slice in XHTML. I don't know where you got that from. Change it in the output settings by clicking on "close all tags".

Billions of people are using HTML? Yes because it WAS the standard, but it won't be much longer. XHTML is basically the next version of HTML. And the reason it will be such a pain to convert to XHTML is because ignorant people like some of you here just don't want to listen.

In order to have working website for 3, 4, 5 years down the road, you're going to have to learn the suttle differences of XHTML. Just you guys wait till XHTML 2.0 comes out.

Guys, maybe you should actually know something about XHTML before you post replies to my arguement.

Here, do some reading, then come back:
http://www.w3c.org

Yeesh the time I spend argueing about something so simple.

The problem with what you are saying, I think, is: So what if Xhtml is more stable? HTML must be stable enough for most people if so many people don't care.

What's the point in using xhtml if html is doing the same job? And what do you mean html wont 'work' in a few years? Browsers are just going to suddenly... stop supporting html are they?

Html is the foundation of websites.. it has been and will always be the primary coding to make a website. You can create alternative options (like php took over perl), but people will continue to use html.

Uhh...what do you mean, HTML won't work? Dude, a lot of people are still using Netscape 4.x, you can't tell me that suddenly no one will be able to use HTML pages. Two reasons: Most people are using depreciated browsers ANYWAY, second, have you heard of backwards compatability? :confused2
I code most new websites in XHTML, but I won't take a template I downloaded and add omittag-no's to everything or put double-quotes around all attributes...it works now, it will work next month, so I'm fine with that.

Yeah, my new layout uses XHTML, not because I am embracing the future, but to see what it is like. Oh by the way, my website is XHTML 1.0 Transitional compliance. Don't believe, go to validator.w3.org

Anyway, if you teacher tells you HTML is going to be useless in 2-3 years, I think your teacher needs some help, not us. Which idiot is going to design a web browser that doesn't work with HTML 4.0? All web browsers now can display code right from HTML 1.0

If standards exist, does it mean you have to follow them? When browsers stop supporting plain HTML (if ever....?), then I will stop coding in HTML. Maybe I will switch to XHTML, but there is no need. NONE.

mmm... conformity

Just curious... do you expect a designer to build a website and don't touch it again for 3 years?

Even so, in 3 years time, the client is going to go back to the designer and get them to build another site if all of a sudden HTML disappears from the face of cyberworld...

When you can find a new everyday car that travels over 100kms a day, and is still around in a few decades times - then I'll consider your arguement to be a valid one.

People can prepare for XHTML later on - but there's not really much to prepare for right now to be honest. Just a few changes in some code, that's it.

My current mainsite is HTML 4.01 compliant, and my new template for my new site that i am creating is gonna be XHTML 1.1 Strict ( There is no transitional ) compliant, and so far it is compliant :).

For some reason i auto add the closing tags, and i dont even think about it anymore, same with CSS.

Personally i do care about validation, if its valid, that means any browser that supports that format can display it like i wanted, if i make it towards one browser, another might see it totally different.

O well, my personal oppinion.

<td> tag cant contain a height="100%" since height is not even in HTML 4.01, and it only works in IE. Background is for IE only as well.

so many times over the years i've heard HTML is on the way out, yet its still the basis for just about every website out there. tell me its useless when it actually is, unless you can predict the future. companies that make software want to push different coding out there so they can sell more software to you, they would like that if you had to buy new apps every couple years. my sufers like simple, and html is just that.

yeah.. i remember in grade 6 (3 years ago now) one of my computer-savvy friends said xhtml would be the new standard in 2-3 years time.. look where we are now

and xhtml will only become a standard when microsoft begins to use it for everything, if you haven't noticed, microsoft changes any standard to whatever they see fit

XHTML 1.1 Strict ( There is no transitional ) compliant
Good luck. I considered XHTML 1.1 Strict, but it's too...heh...strict.
For some reason i auto add the closing tags, and i dont even think about it anymore
Same with me...I mod templates more than create them, but whenever I put in a line break or hr or something I automatically add the />

and maybe 5 yrs from now its gonna be zhtml? who knows? we shall be prepared for the worst! :biggrin2: :rolleyes:

To tell the truth I never knew there was such thing as html 2.x or html 4.x or even xhtml :p

As long as
PHP:
<html>
<head>
<title>Wojtek's Website</title>
</head>
<body>Wojtek dosnt know html</body>
</html>
works im happy :p

Good old way is the best.
For instnce I looked at my friends web creation class book and one stupid thing I remember instead of using the <I>text</I> tag, they said to use some <cite>text<cite> tage to do a citation :confused2 Whats the diff between <I> and <cite> except that cite takes longer to type?

Last edited:
Lol. Everyone except one person disagrees with me.

But my point has obviously been taken out of context. I'm not saying that browsers are going to drop HTML completely, what I meant was that new internet technologies coming out (more stuff like flash and PDF) will only be able to used along side with XHTML. And new tags will be coming out for XHTML 2.0 that will no doubt make it easier to code a website from scratch. (Not as if it's not already easy, but i'm sure XHTML 2.0 will have tags that will do alot of things CSS does already)

X-Istence is basically doing the same thing I am. I learned that closing all tags isn't really that much of a hassle, so I do it now without even thinking about it.

I don't see why you are all whinning "HTML is the standard, billions of people use it, xhtml will never be the standard, you're crazy, that lamp has no feelings..." when the fact is, microsoft is already using XML for a lot of it's server applications. I havn't used .NET yet, but i'm fairly confident that's it's based around XML. And as you probabaly don't know, XML is the language XHTML was written after.

Look, the fact is, you close all tags, and you're prepared for anything that might happen to HTML, stop being all so objective and lazy and just close the darn tags.

Back