• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why don't they learn English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[CH]Dan;948022 said:
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=american
So I provided you with the definition of an "American". As being an "Asian" American. And no when I say American I refer to those who are an US Citizen pal.
I didn't claim to know how you use the word, I was referring to how I use the terms, and how most people who I interact with use the word.
Hold up, before you start to say I'm still Asian, ask me where I was born. Hold up, hold up...was it Seaford, DE, USA? Oh yes, if I remember correctly I was born in Delaware, the first state.
Great! Then you should have perfect English:
When I talk about an American, I refer to those who live in America, living the dream, dying for the dream. Those dying for us are those in the service. My father was in the US Army, he wasn't born here? So are you saying he isn't an American?

But enough of that on to this oh kiddie hosts aren't ran from America? Hi, I'm Dan, I'm a web host. I was born on March 7th 1990. If Americans can't spell, I certainly hope Australians can do math. I'm 17. I run CancerHost.com Nice to meet you :D. I try my hardest to run it. With the help from a friend, whom I meet online. Along with a few others who help us. My put my own money into it, it's not like oh your mom gave you money to run it. No I put my money, and time into it. Don't think we're a pretty good host? Well UBGspace.com has been with us since the start. Other sites like ISQLE.com has also been with us but not as successful as ubg.

At the start of CancerHost.com many expected us to drop and run. But lets see...if I know anyone on this forum, you will go to a dns look up and see the registration date of the domain. Ok here you go: 2007-05-20, May 20th 2007. Today is Jan. 02, 2008. Hmm...a little more than seven months? :beer:

So before you go and stereotype us Americans, I hope you take the time and think about how we are a melting pot. We are more than just Americans, we are many nations. Back in the day, Europeans came here. Then the Africans and then the Asians or however the order was, we are all Americans. Living the DREAM. The dream that we dream and live is being able to answer you like I just have, be with the people we want to be with let it be black, white, tan, brown or burnt (hehe sorry if i offend anyone). Because, everyday when I go to school, I see my dream, being able to talk to my white friends, play ball with one of my best black friends, and turn around and hug my white girlfriend.

In the end, an American is a person living our dream. Regardless if they spell correctly or not.

P.S. I'm glad some of the world think all of us Americans are ignorant and can't spell. j/p
And from the announcement on your site:
The server fees are 30 dollars so that meant 20 dollars came out of my own pocket this month to stay up.
we are just taking some time with families and love ones.
Ok sorry for the downtimes today. A member told me it was spuradic throughout today, my third party monitors (over 4 of them) tell me it was between 6pm EST to about 9pm EST. Sorry for the trouble. The server was having some network issues. All of which are now fixed as I am told. When our vps came back online, I found somethings weren't working right so I rebooted it to make sure it's all working good.
Still Dan, your written English is much better then most on the FWS forums.

*sigh* another overly useless thread turned into a flame war?

No body's going to have perfect grammar. So let's drop this childish competition of seeing who has more spelling and grammar mistakes in an attempt to make them look bad.

Spend your time on something more useless this holiday season!

I didn't claim to know how you use the word, I was referring to how I use the terms, and how most people who I interact with use the word.

Great! Then you should have perfect English:

And from the announcement on your site:

Still Dan, your written English is much better then most on the FWS forums.

Your use of the word isn't correct, just to let you know. Not every American has perfect English unless they have majored in it. And thanks for pointing out the announcement on my site and all.
eBay, IGN, MSN (Hotmail) - and plenty of other sites are written to be dependant on Scripting, and this is very unprofessional.
Taken from your site. Also I believe that big yellow thing on your site is Hebrew.

IMO Firefox is better than IE, in every way.

But thank you for saying my English is better than most. I just don't like how you go and categorize a group of us "Americans" and say we cannot spell.

This topic is very childish as you attack Americans in general for not being able to spell. There are other things out there that you can criticize that can help. Like overselling, or hosts not keeping their word, or over night hosts. Why don't you focus your attention on that rather than kiddie stuff like this.

That's my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, small spelling errors like that get me annoyed as well. I also don't like when people don't use commas and periods properly.

[DWH]Tang;948027 said:
*sigh* another overly useless thread turned into a flame war?

No body's going to have perfect grammar. So let's drop this childish competition of seeing who has more spelling and grammar mistakes in an attempt to make them look bad.

Spend your time on something more useless this holiday season!

Overly Useless? :)

Isn't this a webhosting forum anyway? Not an English Language Forum? ;)

I agree, but people are entitled to their opinion, it's part of freedom, like it or not.

Added: David, you're complaining about poor English while executing it yourself,
I also don't like when people don't use commas and periods properly.
, ah well.

Most of these "American" hosts you are referring to are more than likely high school students that don't have the best business knowledge, and also, don't think of proofreading half the time to check for proper English or spelling errors. Also, i see a lot more hosts in China and India that have poor English.

Actually, Americans speak U.S. English. English speak English, or rather International "English". Why it's international English and not, as it should be, good ol' plain English, I shall never know.

I'm now tempted to offer Proofreading services, could do with some extra money.

Honestly, in my case atleast, when I provide support I want the client to get the answer in a timely fashion. If that means my spelling is lacking a bit, so be it. Some things may get irritating, but IMO you are waisting your time on a pointless argument. If I had been you, I would have spent the time working on something else, not nitpicking about other people's services with which you had never been interested in anyways - why nitpick on small things from some webhost you never plan on buying from anyways? You are just proving to everybody else that you are acting childish, not that you are tryng to prove a point.

As others have said, this is a webhost forums, not a grammer forums. I am sure google can aid you in your plot in finding a grammer site - once you find it, go crazy and complain, but please give me a link so I can read it and nitpick at your spelling as well.

Honestly, in my case atleast, when I provide support I want the client to get the answer in a timely fashion. If that means my spelling is lacking a bit, so be it. Some things may get irritating, but IMO you are waisting your time on a pointless argument. If I had been you, I would have spent the time working on something else, not nitpicking about other people's services with which you had never been interested in anyways - why nitpick on small things from some webhost you never plan on buying from anyways? You are just proving to everybody else that you are acting childish, not that you are tryng to prove a point.

As others have said, this is a webhost forums, not a grammer forums. I am sure google can aid you in your plot in finding a grammer site - once you find it, go crazy and complain, but please give me a link so I can read it and nitpick at your spelling as well.

Lol @ "nitpicking about other people's services with which you had never been interested in anyways". Does that not remind you of a certain other thread you started?

[DWH]Tang;948249 said:
Lol @ "nitpicking about other people's services with which you had never been interested in anyways". Does that not remind you of a certain other thread you started?

ok, someone's gotta say it.

"OH SNAP!"

now, where is Ben when you need him. ;)

[CH]Dan;948093 said:
This topic is very childish as you attack Americans in general for not being able to spell. There are other things out there that you can criticize that can help. Like overselling, or hosts not keeping their word, or over night hosts. Why don't you focus your attention on that rather than kiddie stuff like this.

That's my two cents.
That's fine Dan, you are welcome to your opinion.
Taken from your site. Also I believe that big yellow thing on your site is Hebrew.
I'll actually admit there are typo's on my site - I've spotted a few in one of my more recent pages - http://plamdi.com/wotc/console.htm, but I just can't be bothered to edit such a long document just to fix them. With that said, I don't see a problem with my use of dependant, it has exactly the same meaning as dependent, and sounds more like my pronunciation of the word.
IMO Firefox is better than IE, in every way.
And you are welcome to your opinion. I understand that lots of people love Firefox, which is why I made every possible effort to ensure my site displayed as well as possible in Firefox. When I originally designed the site, Firefox wouldn't display scrolling elements correctly - this is a Firefox bug that I since fixed using Javascript. Disable Javascript in Firefox and the header isn't static and will instead scroll with the rest of the page - whereas IE displays it correctly without scripting. This is just one small example.
But thank you for saying my English is better than most. I just don't like how you go and categorize a group of us "Americans" and say we cannot spell.
Again that's your opinion and you're welcome to it.

Most hosts about are Americans, and as we know just about all Americans need to learn English - but what strikes me is how poor their usage really is! Who else here gets annoyed by improper use and spelling errors?

The biggest single turn-off for me considering a host is if they can't spell. But something that has really annoyed me is the amount of hosts that offer "monthly, quarterly, semiannual, annual and biannual payments" - biannual means TWICE A YEAR, it means the same as semiannual. It does not mean every two years, biennial means that!

Furthermore, THERE does not mean THEIR, and TO doesn't mean TOO! :doh!:

Oh and to the free hosts, Advertisement has only ONE "D" in it. It doesn’t have two. That is why its abbreviation is AD and not ADD! ADD is a suitable abbreviation for ADDITION. And while we're on the subject, just let me add that in year 11 my math's teacher refused to use "eg" as an abbreviation for Example since there is no "G". To this day I also continue to use the more correct abbreviation "Ex", instead of the old outdated Latin abbreviation.

I Agree to you 99%
But not in 'eg'case
'eg' stands for exempli gratia (the origin word of example)
So i don't think there is any wrong with 'eg'
But i do agree 'ex' would be better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.g.#exempli_gratia

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/e.g.

E.g. is not outdated, it's actually part of the British Language, which we you're only borrowing from us, so play nice or we'll take it off you :p

Furthermore, I have BSc in English Language from Bristol University. Therefore, I actually have a valid opinion on what is and isn't proper. I don't really care how people type on the Internet as it's a fusion of written and verbal. Similar to an informal letter , the rules are flexible and down to choice.

It's just that you're nitpicking so I thought I'd set you straight. :)

E.g. is not outdated, it's actually part of the British Language, which we you're only borrowing from us, so play nice or we'll take it off you :p
Yes, but the problem is it isn't used to mean the Latin "exempli gratia", instead when we read it we read it as the English "example". Another example of a common Latin abbreviation is ETC; however it is quite valid as we read it as "et cetera". It is like any other abbreviation - it should be read as the word it is representing (you shouldn't verbally say E.G. or E.T.C.). When we see Dr. we read it as "doctor" not "D.R.". That is why I say it's outdated, not because it doesn't represent something valid - but because it is used to represent a verbally different word.

I would like to dedicate a song to this thread.

Styx - To much time on my hands (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ntzCi1lu2ys)

I think there are some fingers being pointed here, and both sides of the argument are in a sense biased with one's own opinion. Remember when you point a finger, there are three pointing right back at you. I don't think your fair in classifying the American population as a whole; seeing as everyone has different IQ's and level's of smarts. Some people will never be logical thinkers and perfect spellers; but will be great carpenters and mechanics, and vise versa.

I am a Canadian, born, raised, and living here. I passed high school with all university credits, however that in no way means that my english is perfect. At the end of the day, no one is perfect, we all have our flaws. If we were all perfect do you know how boring life would be? There would be no headlines in the news: "Brittney Spears lost her kids again!" which to me is entertainment. So while some will justify others mistakes as stupidity and wrong, I look at them as a learning process.

Cheers,
Tylar

Last edited:
I don't think your fair in classifying the American population as a whole; seeing as everyone has different IQ's and level's of smarts. Some people will never be logical thinkers and perfect spellers; but will be great carpenters and mechanics, and vise versa.
:lol: Way to classify "carpenters" and "mechanics" as a whole!

:lol: Way to classify "carpenters" and "mechanics" as a whole!

That was not the intention of what I was trying to state. I was pointing towards hands on trades, some of them can't spell - however could fix something before you could even start your car or paint a wall.

I work with Mechanics and I can tell you they are extremely intelligent and can't spell for beans.

Your too quick to jump the gun and stick up for your point. You haven't really started to accept there are two sides to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back