• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why Would You Do Such A Thing?? WHY??

A little bit of history on the issue:

Back in September Danish author Kaare Bluitgen was planning to write a childrens story about the prophet Mohammed. But no illustrators were willing to draw the prophet for fear of offending Muslims who believe that depicting Mohammed is blasphemous.

The editor of Jyllands-Posted took an exercise in determining whether Denmark was commited to free speech. As part of an article on self-censorship, they invited dozens of artists to draw a cartoon of Mohammed. Twelve responded.

And from there, we have gone down a path of bomb threats, boycots, fatwahs, flag burnings, hunger strikes, declarations of holy wars, embassies attacked and burned and so on...

The whole thing is utterly absurd. And everyone here surely knows that I am a left-wing extremist that would argue against the powers of America and capitalism at the drop of a hat...

However!

I'm sorry but no matter how I look at this, there is no logical, smart and mature excuse for the behaviour that has resulted from many Muslims as a result of the cartoons.

conkermaniac said:
I am not defending how the Muslim world reacted, but you have to admit what the Europeans did was stupid.

Why was it stupid? Was it stupid because the act itself was stupid, or was it stupid because we knew how Muslim-extremists would respond? I don't think people should be touchy about things for fear of offending.

conkermaniac said:
They knew this was coming. I don't understand what they were trying to achieve by printing these cartoons. Defending freedom of the press?

See my opening paragraphs, and is that such a crime? If this is how they wanted to test the waters, well then, why not? Muslims have got a lot of maturing to do if this is how they handle a few poorly drawn comic strips.

conkermaniac said:
Considering that you can't talk totally freely about the government anywhere in the world, wouldn't it make more sense to target freedom of the press in that sense first, rather than the freedom to insult other cultures?

I don't see why. They're different issues, and this is, as has been demonstrated, something that obviously needs to be discussed and resolved.

conkermaniac said:
But I despise double-standards the most. Some of the same people who seem confounded by the Muslim reaction would go bat---- insane if the same were said of their religion. What if I drew a political cartoon of Jesus impaling babies? (I would never do this but what if...?)
conkermaniac said:
Let's talk about double standards. Leaders in Arab and Muslim countries [Hey there Iran!] ululating about human rights, and the 'right not to be offended'. Meanwhile, we've got state and judicially sanctioned Bible burning, eye gouging, flogging, repression of political rights and freedoms and so on and so forth.

That's all okay behaviour, but a couple of cartoons...

Besides, on that point, people may get pissed off about their culture, beliefs, and religion being insulted, and so they should. But responding with violence and stupidity is not the answer, is not smart, and just makes things worse.

conkermaniac said:
BUT there are those Europeans who would, so-to-speak, "overreact." And some of these people are right now arguing that the cartoons were merely an expression of freedom of speech.

Let's talk about over reacting...

...bomb threats, boycots, fatwahs, flag burnings, hunger strikes, declarations of holy wars, embassies attacked and burned and so on...

Googledaily said:
What if it's YOUR religon that is made fun of? And when you protest I get all my friends to purposely distribute the material all over the place just to prove a point I called free speech, wouldn't you be pissed off too?

Pissed off, but so what? ---- happens. I know my beliefs get trashed a hell of a lot, and I get a lot of ---- for it, but that's life. It annoys me, but what's it matter?

hottweelz said:
Actually, it happens every single day in America, but no Americans go beating eachother up over it and bum-rushing political buildings.

I read 3 newspapers per day. Do enlight me on this, I don't recall seeing sensative religon topics such as "the priest and the 3 choir boys", for example, featured in a comic strip on a daily basis.

Scientology... if you wanna call it a main stream religon then I have nothing further to add. :knockedou

Googledaily said:
I read 3 newspapers per day. Do enlight me on this, I don't recall seeing sensative religon topics such as "the priest and the 3 choir boys", for example, featured in a comic strip on a daily basis.

Scientology... if you wanna call it a main stream religon then I have nothing further to add. :knockedou

What three newspapers is it? There's a big difference between New York City and Bismarck North Dakota ;)

ok, so you people are saying that every religion has been mocked. so give me an example of Jesus AS being mocked. give me an example of Moses AS being mocked....

and for your information 'TWO SHEDS' the Muslims reacted this way because drawing pictures of Prophets can cause idolism which is why there are no pictures of God, for exampe Hinduism.
how can you call it freedom of speech??? why make a picture of someting you should be allowed to??
next, people will start a competition of what God looks like, its disgusting!!!!

Last edited:
uzzer said:

Thats your opinion, many other people believe it is. See where I'm going with that?

Here's another one:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/plotsummary

Here's a news story (no one cared about):
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1689434,00.html

I could probably do this all day

One more thing I'd like to add:
uzzer said:
... which is why there are no pictures of God, for exampe Hinduism.

This should be the last time Hinduism is even mentioned in this thread. You're going to use the most peaceful kind of people in this entire world on to your defense of religion?
Someone is certainly misguided in life.

Last edited:
hottweelz said:
Thats your opinion, many other people believe it is. See where I'm going with that?

Here's another one:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/plotsummary

Here's a news story (no one cared about):
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1689434,00.html

I could probably do this all day

Such a long thread and it will go on increasing in posts, because this is just not going in right direction.
What James believes is not what Abdul preaches and viceversa.
Sure such topics get no results, but someone will walk away in anger or pain and what is achieved - nothing or fake gratification of other person's ego.

I side with neither Dannish pressman/ cartoonist nor the Muslims violence.
Myself has a diff. view to all of this.

Freedom of press !
Freedom of Speech !
land of Free and all those phrases or clauses you can find attached with word freedom,

Defame someone and call it freedom of speech,
Publish a celebrity having sex and call it freedom of press,

When people here argue over the freedom they have got, why do they forget, their freedom is not the other man's curse !

Freedom comes to all but with it are attached duties.
Duties towards self, duties towards society, duties towards nation and duties towards mankind.

USA is called land of free, but do you just start to pee(piss) on streets because this is land of free ?
With every freedom comes a great responsibility and that is what is missing from Dannish pressmen or cartoonist and to abide by or support them is mere politicising the issue.

Just if the Dannish pressmen had realised their duties before shouting about the freedom they have got, situation would have been much different.

Let me say this does not shift blame from Muslims as well who carried out violence just because their feelings were hurt and not resolved.
If violence can put end to all your miseris and if violence can get what you want, then this world is no good for living.

There is always a way and method to register your protest. No one can be forced to obey or respect you, by means of threats or violence.

Having said that, why did the situation even arise ?
Europeans and Americans have so far understood whole globe to be their paternal property. One day Mr.Bush wakes from sleep and you hear Afghanistan is plundered.
Next time he anticipates election loss, you hear Iraq has been turned into graveyard.
Its hightime people from West realise, its not Brand America everywhere and similarly its not religion Christianism everywhere.

Your society permits you to certain freedom which other society may not, but this does not give you freedom to hurt sentiments or play with feelings of society other than yours.

What was done by Dannish cartoonist was wrong and supporting them was worse.
No one has freedom to play or hurt sentiments of others.
In first place whatever be the history cited or contest organsied, intention is clear- it was never in interests of free press.
Freedom of press does not mean you just play with anyone's sentiments and especially when such a big religion is invovled.
I totally disagree with any and all who support Dannish cartoonsit and go on to extent to justify it.
I am neither in support of Muslims who carried out violence.

Violence spreads hatred.

I must confess, I know nothing about Prophet Mohamed and I don't need to, so any of the comics or cartoons which go against a particular religion are never freedom of press. They are just a way to make yourself popular.

End result- Press publishing it, would be famous in every bylane of Denmark and may even start international offices. Its all publicity stunt.

Tell me when is the last time they covered any humanitarian issue, when is the last time they covered or did something for people suffering from AIDS, when is the last time they did something for people in Somalia.

Here lies the problem!

People who justify it with freedom of speech, fail to understand press has duties as well.
If they were unaware of Muslims against idol worship or further, they should have consulted muslim uleman or priests.
If they were aware, then it was not done as freedom of press but abuse of such freedom.

Thomas

Last edited:
PH2006020801767.jpg

I'm a pig, hoink hoink! :p

uzzer said:
ok, so you people are saying that every religion has been mocked. so give me an example of Jesus AS being mocked. give me an example of Moses AS being mocked....

I'm not sure what the "AS" means, but how's this?

http://www.jesusdressup.com/

Good fun! I wonder if they will make a MohammedDressup. It would be apt, you have to admit.

the reason i mentioned hinduism is because they worship an idol.
also, you owuld find that funny but i dont. i have Love for my Prophet(PBUH), you are a christian and you find jesusdressup funny. That is the difference between us.
Muslims have love for their Prophets therefor will not see them mocked!!!

Muslims take it to seriously, I believe that if God loves us, he's not going to come down and punish us, cuz I dressed him up on a cross via some website.

Seriousness leads to violence, laughter releases endorphins.

dude, whats this PBUH thing you keep on putting after mohamed or prophet?
makes me think of a TM trademark notice

Back