• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Winbuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty cool, it'll be useful for people that have always wanted to try linux but don't want to go through burning the disk and trying to install it.

:|
Its easy enough as it is

I did it today never done it befor

took me 24 hours to download ubuntu 1 hour to install and im using it now

Dualboot etc

Anyway point is I knew nothing about dualbooting etc and was up within 1 hour

Why do they need this :S

I am under the impression that the live CD was the full thing. Considering that I am posting from Ubuntu right now and all I used was the live CD.

Despite having a reputation of being an oldschool distro, I found Slackware 10.2 to be incredibly easy to install and set up. Not using it right now, I'm on my notebook and I'm afraid to touch this with all of my music, games, etc.

You seem to be doing a lot of these "post a link and comment on it with a few sentences" threads these days.

I am under the impression that the live CD was the full thing. Considering that I am posting from Ubuntu right now and all I used was the live CD.

Your correct my friend the Ubuntu install disk is the live cd as well and it takes me about 45 minutes to get it via torrent..

utcrazy said:
You seem to be doing a lot of these "post a link and comment on it with a few sentences" threads these days.

Well.... everyone else seems to be doing, I might as well join in teh fun!!!111 :p

Yeah, but the average home user doesn't care about linux. They want something thats simple to use, and thats windows. Unfortunately Linux is mainly for the tech-savvy, I doubt it'll ever have the desktop share windows has. Windows is just easy to use. It has its faults sure, but in general it works pretty well. I've never had any serious issues with it and XP hardly ever freezes(I don't remember it freezing actually) on me. For me Linux is for hosting as all my websites run on Linux where windows is for everyday use on the desktop. I've seen and tried a few linux distros, still don't like any of them as much as windows.

Until someone takes Linux, creates their own apps for it, own desktop environment, cuts out open source aps and makes it easy for the average user it won't be a significant part of the desktop market. Right now, Mac OS X is the only desktop operating system besides windows that can claim a significant part of the desktop market.

Until someone takes Linux, creates their own apps for it, own desktop environment, cuts out open source aps and makes it easy for the average user it won't be a significant part of the desktop market. Right now, Mac OS X is the only desktop operating system besides windows that can claim a significant part of the desktop market.

How exactly is cutting out open source apps going to help GNU/Linux on its way to the top? And there are plenty of desktop environments that are incredibly customizable, namely FVWM, that someone could modify to their own ends if they wanted to create a windows-like desktop environment (or Mac OS X GUI-clone, which FVWM can be good at)

I think Linspire has the right idea, despite the fact that they charge. Or do they charge still? I haven't looked at it in a while, but it's definitely geared towards "technology is scary"-minded people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back