• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Countdown 2003

"Americans" That is why I wasn't sure about responding any more to this topic. I can't make a comment with out it exploding to those proportions. Why can't it be peaceful in one place such as the internet. Rather than casting down on who did what wrongs.

So you were referring to his avatar? Hmm. I first thought by "image" you meant Toe's mental image inspired by "soggy biscuit". I also thought you were joking. Well, if you want to take offense, then, by all means, be offended-- none of my business. It all seems rather comical to me, taking a silly picture on a message board so gravely serious when much worthier pursuits abound.

If you ask me, a flag is just a piece of cloth. It no more represents any ideals than the burning of one does. Ideals can't be burned. A flag burning is itself not a protest, it just draws attention. A protest is about more than a simple flag.

Those who are shaken by the act of flag burning itself, I believe, are so because they are unsure of their convictions. They don't truly hold those ideals supposedly represented by the flag, they're not even certain of what they are. Failing to find the force within themselves, and not understanding that ideals are intangible, they search for a physical representation to stand under, to follow, to almost worship. The flag to them is less a symbol, more as it is an idol. While one who is sure of himself and what he believes may be unaffected personally by a burning flag, those who are not take an affront against a piece of cloth as an affront against themselves, because when the flag is in ashes the one who believes in himself will still carry his ideals, while those that placed their souls in the destroyed idol are left alone, with nothing.

It is no wonder, then, that they would take offense. There is no one more vulnerable than they. You hold their entire world in your hands when you hold a flag.

A protest may or may not have a valid point or objective. Ironically enough, a protest that features a flag burning usually is one calling attention to the fact that the ideals represented are not being held. Only those who place their faith not in the cloth of the flag but the ideals it represents can relate to this kind of show, the others are left only offended. The point or lack of one has no relevance to them. They don't think. They follow the flag. The flag burned.

Even a virtual flag.

<edit>

One day, five minutes.

Last edited:
What relevance would a reply to Tommy's post have in that thread? Dreadfully off-topic, it would be. :p

23 hours, 50 minutes.

:biggrin2: I see what you mean Dusty, I hadn't followed it after the first few posts :p

the post deleted

I have already erased the original post because I felt it was off topic to. Also, I believe what you say about it being a peice of cloth, because only a fool would worship materilistic things, I simply stated that I thoughted it was offensive because it is very disrepectful, not that i'm one to be deciding that. Like I tried several times ago now, I hope this will be the end of this off-thread. I apologize for putting the board off topic, I really hadn't any idea this would happen, other wise I wouldn't have started to to begin with.

-One day -

Originally posted by tommyjh02
"Americans"

Oh wow, now your offended because I didn't capitalize the 'a' and I added a 's instead of an 's' to the end of the word. :rolleyes:

21 hours, 59 minutes and 35 seconds.

Back