• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cPanel, xPanel & LayeredPanel

Cpanel is the reigning champion, and I think it's arguably the industry standard when it comes to control panels. DirectAdmin would be a close second, as one of it's primary features is its stability. For budget users, LayeredPanel and XPanel (cgi-based and is unstable with high users, beware) is a good choice too.

I like cPanel much more than the others.

I'm currently trying out a host using layeredpanel, and I can't even seem to be able to edit PHP Files because its like a permanent WYSIWYG editor

I prefer cPanel to the other control panels. I have tried cPanel, DirectAdmin, LayeredPanel and xPanel before. The only CP which can match up to cPanel is DirectAdmin. However, due to the fact that I am more used to cPanel, I would say that cPanel is slightly better than DA. DA's interface does seem much better but cPanel and WHM are easier to use.

H-Sphere was good when I last used it 5 years ago. However, I haven't seen much of it nowadays.

For the past 4 years, I have been using cPanel.

Used Ensim for a while but did not like it much.

cpanel is the most preferred, so you will get more customers if you are using that.... the moeny is worth it, go for it.

Seems nobody runs a large freehost here; I admin one for my job with > 100.000 members; cpanel will turn into complete crap after having 1000 sites on a server. We tried. Xpanel can do 5000-8000 and Layeredpanel can do 45.000-50.000. Cpanel is completely inefficient for freehosting and will not make you any money there, as you'll be installing 1000 servers with 1000 licenses. We run 3 servers with Layeredpanel and > 100.000 members making a profit of $25.000 a month; you can probably calculate what enormous loss the same setup would have with cPanel.

With their 'millions invested' in it, it has very little bugs, but it is slow and securitywise not a smart move for a freehost.

My 2 cents from experience with the above.

We use LayerdPanel for free hosting and Plesk for paid hosting. Cpanel is my 3rd option.
I've bought LayerdPanel a week ago and i like their way of coding. I can make tons of changes

wow poomy, what's your webhosting name? I'd like to join that huge community of people using Layered Panel?

Direct Admin is cleaner but doesn't offer all the bells and whistles of Cpanel. I use DA for my dedicated server but I've used Cpanel in the past.

And Ensim sucked, by the way.

DirectAdmin is the "best" but most people like cPanel because thats what they use everywhere else.

I can't understand why owners use layered panel.

because
Layeredpanel has too many limitions.

example)

extension limit
PHP Safe mode is on
ADS
cgi,perl isn't working
PHP environment is inconvenient for users.
.htaccess isn't allowed.
etc

I can't understand why owners use layered panel.

because
Layeredpanel has too many limitions.

example)

extension limit
PHP Safe mode is on
ADS
cgi,perl isn't working
PHP environment is inconvenient for users.
.htaccess isn't allowed.
etc
I thought PHP Safe mode was configured in the PHP config file instead of LayeredPanel?

It can be tweaked to allow .htaccess. Or is the .htaccess limit actually in extension limits? Extension limits? It's due to the fact that the host wanted to limit those extensions. I am pretty sure that they can disable the extension limit.

Last edited:
H-Sphere all the way. Preferred it advanced option that it offered. But I have to admit cPanel is well favourite in the free hosting market.

H-Sphere all the way. Preferred it advanced option that it offered. But I have to admit cPanel is well favourite in the free hosting market.
If you think H-Sphere would make a better panel, you should start a free host using H-Sphere. Cost wise there is not alot of difference between Cpanel and H-Sphere. I personally do not like H-Sphere, but there may be a market for the product.

H-Sphere is good too.. probably the most comparable with cPanel IMO.

LayeredPanel like others said is too un-reflexive with PHP.

LayerPanel is worst.
Uploaded files will not be chmoded with ftp and easily abused.
File format restriction is nothing. ppls can upload any kind of files with simple uploading script and hogged for illegal Bittorrent spreading.

My fav is H-Sphere. It has powerful file manager with multi file chmod ability.
Cpanel cant do multi file chmod.

millions of dollars?

cpanel can not be bought, a host can not own
it, it is leased, so their cost for it ontop of the server and everything else
dictates how much thay have to charge. same goes for free hsoing services.

Hosting would be cheaper if we quit using hosting service's using cPanel.
Oh, and fantatico can not be owned, it costs about $400.00 a year
those 2 cPanel, and fantatico put the burden on the users to pay more
for hosting.

Just my observation of the past 5 years.

Zcoder....

Well you've been wating 5 years then you gimp, you can but CPAnel and have been able to for ages

http://www.cpanel.net/purchase/cPanelandWHM/linux/cPanel_WHM.htm

If you use a good supplier you can CPanel for $8 monthly while DirectAdmin/ServerCP is $8-10 too. Its $1500 to buy CPanel, doh keep your misinformation to yourself.

BTW. CPanel support is the best i've ever had, they even ask you for feedback afterwards (on the level of support and how polite they were) This whole thread seems to be populated by people who have never used CPanel at Root level and so dont really have much idea of how it really works and how quick it is to set up a server and keep it managed, thats why I use CPanel.

Last edited:
Back