• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Gay Rights in the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by conkermaniac
You can only wish that were true. Affirmative action aside, if a white is as qualified as a black person, they will be hired 9 times out of 10. And if they're more qualified and better educated? More like 99 times out of 100. Because of affirmative action the black person now actually has a shot at getting a job. In some cases, blacks who are less qualified than a white do end up getting a position, reminding us that affirmative action needs to be tweaked from time to time. And if you're an open homosexual? You can pretty much forget about getting a job -- no boss would actually want a homosexual in their offices, except one that is extremely qualified. The fact is that there is still a lot of discrimination in America, and you would have to be blind not to see it. And even so, there have been relatively few lawsuits, in comparison to the discrimination minorities suffer at job applications.

Thats a real shame, as a lot of times gay people are just as qualified, can do the same amount of work. Personally, i would hire an openly gay guy. At least then i can say that i hire alot of different people.

Originally posted by X-Istence
The infamous men double standard.

It's not a double standard because for that to be the case I would have to say that I don't think men should be able to be gay but women should be able to.

If you read my post at all you would have been able to see that I don't mind gay people. I don't like the things some of them do, but I don't like a lot of things that straight people do either.

I don't mind if a ANY couple kisses in public. However, if they really started going at it, REGARDLESS if it is a homosexual OR straight couple, it would be uncalled for in public.

I would just prefer to watch two chicks make out than to watch two guys. That's all I'm saying, so stop pointing fingers.

Aha! So you are analyzing the word from a literal standpoint. Well, FYI, the prefix homo- means nothing more than "the same". If we analyze the word piece by piece without using the "american society influenced text", then we are to assume that this word has no connections with homosexuality whatsoever. Therefore, homophobia really means "fear of the same". :rolleyes:

... homophobia has two meanings...

homophobia: fear of the same (as you said)

homophobia (is) a portmanteau of homosexual and phobia

so, homosexual (interloping of the same sex) and phobia (fear)= fear of the interloping of the same sex. i know everyone here isnt talking about your literary definition of homophobia (the fear of the same) because they cite the word gay which refers to my definition (fear of the interloping of the same sex). i am assuming that you didnt notice the portmanteau or maybe you dont even know what it is. if you didnt know what it is, then dont bring yourself into an argument when you dont know what is being said (reference to stupidity).

Conker may be stupid but you have no rights to call all Chinese stupid. Please respect other races.

if i remember that post correctly, i was callling conker stupid specifically, not the whole chinese race, but if you would like it better, chinese people are stupid, i hope that makes you fell better.

Good people can disagree on things, let's just accept that we can't agree on this topic. Don't post personal attacks on people, post your views on the topic. Posts not dealing with the topic but just attacking another member of this forum will be removed. If this happens again, the thread will get closed and the persons responsible risk getting banned.

Originally posted by Nick
I don't mind if a ANY couple kisses in public. However, if they really started going at it, REGARDLESS if it is a homosexual OR straight couple, it would be uncalled for in public.
I would agree with you, but it seems that many people in this thread are acting as if sexual harrassment and openness in relationships is a gay thing.

so, homosexual (interloping of the same sex) and phobia (fear)= fear of the interloping of the same sex. i know everyone here isnt talking about your literary definition of homophobia (the fear of the same) because they cite the word gay which refers to my definition (fear of the interloping of the same sex). i am assuming that you didnt notice the portmanteau or maybe you dont even know what it is. if you didnt know what it is, then dont bring yourself into an argument when you dont know what is being said (reference to stupidity).
As far as I'm concerned, you can break down words into their literal definition and the society-accepted definition. What you are doing here is creating your own pseudo-literal definition, and that's just not intellectually honest. While I agree that the word homophobia probably started out meaning "fear of homosexuals", that has changed, as the definition of the word broadened. And if you seriously think that "fear of the same" is one possible definition of homophobia, then I feel sorry for you. You need to lighten up, and stop taking things so damn literally!

7trax, just for your info, most chinese people are a lot smarter than people from the US or europe.

Perhaps he should read some Chinese history. By they way, i am not Chinese, so i am not bragging.

Originally posted by 7trax
they [asians] are born so stupied they have to go through 20 years of school to become equivalent to the american. then just another 5 years so they wont be embarrassed.

sorry.. all asian people are stupid

I somehow feel peo will close this thread :)

Lets get back on topic. kthxbai.

Sorry guys, i just hate it when someone thinks other races or cultures are stupid. Too bad a few people like can make Americans look bad.

I would agree with you, but it seems that many people in this thread are acting as if sexual harrassment and openness in relationships is a gay thing.

I don't believe that people consider sexual harrassment as a "gay" thing. I think it just gets a little more attention when it is homosexual because people just aren't used to seeing that like they are other forms of sexual harrassment.

In a couple generations people will probably develop a passive outlook on it like that have on sexual harrassment against women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back