• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Geekrack Is Back!!! Take Cover!

It's prob. just a way to cover themselves, there's a lie somewhere in all this maybe more than one.

And just because something is hosted and viewable doesn't make it free to take. If I host my entire backup in my public_html and somebody downloads it, I still technically OWN all of the intellectual data BUT I'm just a fool and pretty much gave it away but LEGALLY I still own it.

So hang on MCT sold it to them, they claim they 'found it' on the internet.

Question still stands - why do all and sundry have a copy of it to start with?

All those involved including the new kid on the block (as in chopping) - data security my arse... What else have you all decided to hang onto that you shouldn't have then?

So hang on MCT sold it to them, they claim they 'found it' on the internet.

Question still stands - why do all and sundry have a copy of it to start with?

All those involved including the new kid on the block (as in chopping) - data security my arse... What else have you all decided to hang onto that you shouldn't have then?
Hosts should choose their employees more wisely ;)

uk2web

We are not related to GeekRack in anyway, theres no former employees from geekrack, we simply found this template available to download freely on the internet, we do not have any client details, database or even the forums database.

Do you have rights to sell host backups? Does anyone have the right to sell host backups? I can imagine a heck of a lot of clients would be after your arse if their info got into the wrong hands. I know I would be! :mad:

Anyone intentionally buying a host's backups is equally despicable.

no client data is in the backups ;) just the forum was there.

We are not related to GeekRack in anyway, theres no former employees from geekrack, we simply found this template available to download freely on the internet, we do not have any client details, database or even the forums database.

I am curious about this statement... You claim that you did not have the forum database, but if that is true, then how did you have a forum on your domain that said geekrack and had all the old geekrack posts?

Excuse the bad quality on the screenshot...

Attachments

• grforum.jpg
    grforum.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 35
I am curious about this statement... You claim that you did not have the forum database, but if that is true, then how did you have a forum on your domain that said geekrack and had all the old geekrack posts?

Excuse the bad quality on the screenshot...

LOL

That explains a lot. Good find.

Justin and ermmmm, the "New Owner". Got a comment?

So why does your forum have posts from Shequeita dated back to 2007?

They used geekracks forum backup. I was still a mod apparently (LMFAO thought about destroying it) Seriously though people are creatures of habbit On the support system (via forum) If you read any of the pms (I know shequeita had that mod installed) It has clients passwords.. If you were a client and ever pm one of us for support I suggest changing your password.

They used geekracks forum backup. I was still a mod apparently (LMFAO thought about destroying it) Seriously though people are creatures of habbit On the support system (via forum) If you read any of the pms (I know shequeita had that mod installed) It has clients passwords.. If you were a client and ever pm one of us for support I suggest changing your password.

Probably why most hosting services that have forums always demand that support issues that require the password being disclosed to the support rep in question is always done off the forums such as support ticket or email.

Probably why most hosting services that have forums always demand that support issues that require the password being disclosed to the support rep in question is always done off the forums such as support ticket or email.

Well officialy that is true. I still had alot of clients pm me there username and password and ask me to do something ( I usualy responded telling them to use official means of support such as tickets or livehelp / email.

And that excuses you?

you are obviously blowing this out of proportion here. all i have to say is i can sell what i have made, not client data was sold, so, maybe you need to stop jumping to conclusions. im done with this thread. as for uk2web, if it is not Jason, then i dont know how they got a copy of the forum db unless it is shequeita. i dont have an answer for that unless Jason gave it away. maybe uk2web can enlighten us all as to where he/she downloaded the files.

**EDIT**
btw, uk2web.net is gone offline?

**EDIT2**
i just checked what i gave to Jason, and no db info was sent, not even the forum. i was mistaken. just checked the zip file. so, i am curious as to where this person got a copy of it if it is not shequeita. :S

Last edited:
I have to be honest here and side with MCT because I honestly don't think he is the type of bloke who would deliberately pass on private information or sell something that is not his own.

I have to be honest here and side with MCT because I honestly don't think he is the type of bloke who would deliberately pass on private information or sell something that is not his own.

It's only slightly out of proportion :p. And no private data was sold but he still sold a template that he ONLY coded and thus does not own the rights to.

appreciate that Dan. so, is uk2web going to post where they got the info? i dont think that them having the forum is all that big of a deal, but, if they have that, what else might they have is the real question.

It's only slightly out of proportion :p. And no private data was sold but he still sold a template that he ONLY coded and thus does not own the rights to.

i have all the rights in the world to sell what i have done. it would be like you charging a client to recode a template that they download. you are being paid for the work you do. that is all i did.

Last edited:
I wasnt going to post in here, but screw it. I have to say this.

Im very dissapointed that such a highly reguarded member of FWS would do somthing like that. Im sure if MTC did, then he didnt realise he was doing the wrong thing, but for someone whos been around so long, id have thought hed know better.

This whole thing makes me quiet paranoid about getting anything i do professional coded. The coder has no right to resell my work, no matter how much of his code is put into it.

MTC, you can keep defending yourself all you want. Fact is, all you did is some coding, and all that gives you is the right to sell is the code you modified, not the images, not the layout.

Originally, you said you sold the backup to him implying that it was in your posession. Now, with your last comment:
i have all the rights in the world to sell what i have done. it would be like you charging a client to recode a template that they download. you are being paid for the work you do. that is all i did.
You are trying to imply that they sent it to you and you coded it and charged for the coding, totally contradicting your earlier statements about selling Jason a backup.

If Jason had obtained the layout and sent it to you and you charged him for the work you did, then there is no problem, however if you had this in your posession from when you modified the template to suit GeekRacks, and sold that off, then that is clearly wrong.

So wich is it?
He sent it to you and you coded it for him, or you sold him a backup?

Now i have heard MCT'S side i dont think he would have sold the databases either, if as Justin says it was jason he sold it to Jason could have easily obtained the backups from when he was employed with Geekcrap as i have a few backups on disk which i was instructed to take.

If Justin says he didn't sell to Jason any of the databases, I would definitely give him the benefit of the doubt. We should just wait and see what uk2web has to say, if they even say anything.

Back