• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Has God ever spoken to you?

Cool story Webdude. I was watching Star Trek today and they were explaining a theory in quantum physics where in a seperate reality each decision you make would happen. I have no idea if this is true but it would be pretty cool if it does.

Something I like about Star Trek is it deals with this type of stuff and it makes you think.

Thanks for sharing webdude, exactly the kind or response I wanted to hear. Not the sarcasm. But then again maybe that is how people feel about God, sarcastic.

I respect all standing points. I guess I know where I stand now but sometimes it's nice to hear some stuff from other people besides the wackies in Church.

Maybe God doesn't "speak" to people...I can't say I've ever experienced anything scientifically unexplainable but I have experienced some situations that would be hard to imagine not being the result of some "divine intervention".

Like somebody said, God is just there to explain all the mysteries. But if God has ever looked down and given me a hand...I supposed I'd like to show some thankfulness for that.

I still have all the questions but I think I'll just have to settle for the fact that I'll never know

Because of that I can never say I am better or more right than anybody...which maybe means I've evolved from being simple minded.

Would all God Loving Christians please follow the word of god; and act apon Psalm 137 Verse 9. Thankyou.

I talk to myself sometimes, but people say that's a sign on insanity :x

... right up until i smite them.

First, thanks for sharing your story Webdude.
Second, hottwheelz, I suggest you find out a bit more about Christianity from someone other than a door-to-door religion salesman. Your summary of Christianity as a whole is oversimplified and biased.

Now on to the subject. I've never heard a voice that said "Dude, this is God, and you need to do this. C'mon. Just do it." I don't believe God works that way. I don't believe that the same God who gave us free will would stick his voice in our head and say "Listen, this is God, so do what I say." Any person who really believes in God (or any person who believes in any God whatsoever) wouldn't even think about disobeying a voice that they were convinced was their God. Thus, I don't think God actually speaks to us in a booming, on-high voice. I believe that he speaks to us through experiences, through that little, not-so-booming voice in our heads, through other people, and such as that. I'm sure I've had experiences like that before, but the point of using things other than a booming, on-high voice is that you never know it's God :)
Now, I've definitely "felt God's presense," as some would say. My church has some awesome worship services sometimes, and I really have no explanation for the feelings I get when we have a really good service besides God's presense. It's not a Pentecostal rolling on the floor, swinging from chandeliers, speaking in tongues kind of feeling, it's more of a glowing peace. I dunno.

As for denying science, it's either a fear thing or an ingrained doctrine thing. For most of my formative years (especially since I was homeschooled for much of them) I was taught that evolution was impossible, that the earth was 6000+ years old, and that nearly all science was wrong. As I entered public school in my sophomore year I began to question these beliefs, and wedged myself somewhere in between the Catholic church's stated beliefs (that God started evolution and then let it run its course) and old-earth creationism (also called day/age theory, which suggests that the "days" in the Genesis creation account were much longer than 24 hours). Since then, I've decided that creation theories have very, very little to do with theology, and definitely aren't going to send you to hell, so I've stopped debating the points in my mind, and with other people.

(PS, guitarnerd posts the best threads.)

drndrw said:
This thread seems like it could cause some contriversy. I'd lock it if I were a moderator.
Good thing you aren't. If you don't want to read, go to another thread. That applies also for the capran poster.

Well we all have our beliefs or religions that we follow, ain't that enough? Also, a materialized superior being may not be far off in the future if we could explore outer lying planets.

Well, let's get a concept of beings. While we often view aliens as being superior to us, what if the opposite could be true. Imagine a race who's homeworld's gravity is a lot lighter than ours. Let's say, similar to the gravity of the moon. This would make even their strongest seem mighty weak to us. On their world, we would be able to jump higher, run faster, lift far more weight, and probably punch a hole thru much of their strong materials..... a normal jail of theirs probably couldnt hold us.

So on a certain level, we would be considered superbeings to them. On the other hand, like Thor's race on Stargate, they could be far more intelligent than us. Science says their are things out there that we cant even imagine. On the flip side of that, we can imagine a LOT of stuff.

Imagine a being that is so evolved, it existed before light. It finds a way to harness the (let's call it) black energies of the universe to create a big explosive ball of light, which it explodes as intending, thus creating the universe as we know it. Also a scientist of his own right, he has everything measured out, and has a general layout of how everything will happen thruought the life of this creation. Once certain chosen worlds have reached the life sustaining levels he needs them at, he creates life on them one way or another. He may not like how life has turned out on one planet, or is finished with that particular experiement, and causes it to explode. Of course various pices and cells of life will be able to survive on the comets and asteroids created by the exploding world. Many will be engulf in suns and black holes, others will smash into worlds that cant sustain life as we know it, a relative few could land on a world ready to sustain life.

Science and religion cant explain everything, and we practically know nothing although we think we do since we are concieted beings by nature anyway. The possibilities are endless....... and such a being as explained above, would certainly be a God to me. All religions are fallible because while they may be affected by this God, what we know in writings are still written as much as the person doing the writing understands God's wishes. For example, the stonings of the Old Testament were punishments. Light stoning that leaves bruises and a lesson is one thing..... but did the author misread God's intent and wrote then as "stoning to death"? You cant learn if you are stoned "to death".

Does God really have a Heaven for us? I dont know. Does God really even care much about us? I dont know. All this is written by men. Does it mean I shouldnt believe He exists? Certainly not. I know things always work out for me, and prayers of true need are answered. Thats all I know.

I was also brought up to believe evolution was impossible...I remember once, at a church sermon two people got on stage and smashed watch, put it in a box and shook it around.

Then they said "How long do I have to do this before it becomes a watch again?" They said it was "impossible"

But in the back of my mind I couldn't help but think that eventually, something would happen to the watch. The metals would fuse together, or the glass face would shatter into billions of pieces and become sand and the battery would eventually leak alkaline on to everything and create a big toxic mess. Eventually something interesting would happen...

The theories and ideas on what God could be are endless and I guess that's what makes it so fascinating...by fabricating an explanation for all mysteries we create the biggest mystery of all.

One thing that pisses me off is when Christians lie about things such as one guy was trying to tell me that Darwin himself became a Christian before he died. I couldn't believe it so I googled it for an hour or so and only found evidence that he died believing exactly what he taught.

Oh and notnamed, I wouldn't say my threads are good, or great it's just that I'm so lazy the only thing that gives me enough motivation to actually post is when it's a subject that makes me think and I know will get some responses.

Webdude said:
Well, let's get a concept of beings...

Great imagination...

Here is one for everyone that I've got...

Has anyone ever seen the similarity between planets and atoms and molecules? Or how about human cells. Sometimes to me it seems the universe is just what we consider atoms and molecules in a much larger scale. What if we are all part of a larger being, such as "beings" in us like germs, viruses etc.

If so how many scale sizes are there. What if our universe makes up a being which is just another part of a larger universe, which makes up a being which is part of an even larger universe? What if it is never ending. What if we are the smallest? What if we are a virus in the universe who will eventually after trillions and trillions of years eat up all resources?

I just watched something 2-3 days ago on the science channel explaining that the moon is something like 70% titanium that eventually we will have a launch station base off of it since it would be so more efficient to launch rockets and space craft from it due to less gravity.

What if the intelligence of a human compared to a germ is the equivalent of our intelligence compared to the being that we could be part of.

What if the being we are part of is God? What if God was everything? Every molecule of oxygen you breath, every atom that makes up your body.

I could come up with so much crap, and I could be completely wrong or dead on, and we'll never know...if I was poor I would capatilize on people looking for something to believe and tell them God told me for them to give me a large portion of their income and be rich

guitarnerd said:
Has anyone ever seen the similarity between planets and atoms and molecules? Or how about human cells. Sometimes to me it seems the universe is just what we consider atoms and molecules in a much larger scale. What if we are all part of a larger being, such as "beings" in us like germs, viruses etc.

I've thought the solar system and planets located within it as the molecules mentioned. How else would the basis of life be as a structure? Square planets?

You seem to take this God speaking to you idea to literaly. It is a feeling. When you prayerfully read your bible and mediate on scripture you can feel a calling to make a change. I have just come out of a wonderful weekend which invoved God speaking to me. But I know how you feel, I used to think those same questions, but its through faith we believe in him. I would suggest pryaing over it and I will pray for you too.

aggiedude

guitarnerd said:
If so how many scale sizes are there. What if our universe makes up a being which is just another part of a larger universe, which makes up a being which is part of an even larger universe? What if it is never ending. What if we are the smallest? What if we are a virus in the universe who will eventually after trillions and trillions of years eat up all resources?

Maybe the earth is an infected cell, and we are the cancer? Let's hope God hasnt figured out a cure!

Webdude said:
Maybe the earth is an infected cell, and we are the cancer? Let's hope God hasnt figured out a cure!

Why do you think we did all of these things anyway? Because of the advancement of technology and other influences on how the human brain works, probably.

Maybe we'll get androids or something.

Romeo18 said:
All the time. Just have to learn how to listen is all.

This is an example of what is frustrating to me. There is no technique.

As for meditating and prayer and all the similar stuff, I've done all of it, and it's scientifically proven it's just a natural state that the mind goes into, you can get the effect without talking to God, just deep thought will do it but people want to believe anything that seems strange is God.

Anyway I still pray all the time, usually a lot of little things, sometimes big important things.

I am really not saying I don't believe in God but more or less what the heck are all the fanatics hearing that I am not...are they confusing their conscious for God. The mind is powerful and can tell us a lot of things maybe people misunderstand there minds insticts for God.

For example...

When you eat a meal, the first time you look at the plate of food your mind prepares your stomach accordingly. If it is a small portion, you may not get full but your mind probably knows that's all your getting so only expects as much.

When your stomach begins to actually feel full it is really not your stomach at all. It is your mind informing you that it is done and doesn't want anymore, your mind actually makes you think that you feel your stomach being full, but in reality there are no nerves in your stomach telling you such.

People can learn to overcome that.

I think some people confuse similar things that our mind tells us for God.

I sort of believe the same for love, I don't really feel love exists. It's a big theory and I am not gonna type it all out but I really think love is just instinctual. Your mind begins to feel comfortable and familiar with something it tricks us into thinking we love it. When people have children they love them because our main instinct is to reproduce. So we become defensive.

When we lose a loved one, or want to protect them our mind makes us feel accordingly.

T.M. said:
No, but a cat puked on my feet once.

That's always nice to hear TM.

More on my own beliefs...

The higher you go in the structure of higher powers in the tree diagram I was trying to create earlier (and as I somewhat explained as well) you'll see more and more women. Not that I am a pervert or anything... *cough* but that's how it goes because of the fact that women create life and thus the higher power is theirs to claim.

Also, in my beliefs, there are good and bad colors. One aspect of this is based on the royalty colors, for example: Purple, red, green and many more colors. Although I would love to sit around in shotoshop and make a pixelated transition table of all the possible good colors from widely used as good to not as widely used as good... I have to apply for a State ID this coming Spirng Break and won't have time.

Although I would like to ramble on and on with useless ----, pardon my language, but my time is wearing thin... again.

Back