• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HostBig gone?

msrosie

Does anyone know what happened to HostBig.net? Their website is gone, as is mine. I'm getting very frustrated with webhosts, it seems like every host I have found through this site has been a rip-off. I might as well have stayed with free sites, they were more reliable than paid sites are!

What is the url? And also, not all webhosts are rip offs. I can make a list of the ones here that have been around for at least a year now and aren't going to go anywhere soon. You just have to do research and be ready to pay a decent amount.

If you paid for something ridiculous, well then by signing up you are essentially agreeing to the possible risks involved.

I do hope that this works out for you and if there's anything I can do give me a shout.

- Tang

Sorry to hear of your troubles,

There are some good providers around these parts.

I just hope you saved back-ups of your site

tumble

well Richard makes sense in his statment.

I and a few others have "very" realiable service and have been around for some time.

Granted i would have to go back and lok at msrosie Op to see if i had posted a offer. And if i had posted why would the OP had not pick our host?

Easy the way i see it "Blinded" by the give you everything for nothing deal.

Many "good" people are duped by this standard of offering. The first time around i would call it just part of the learning curve.

If it happens more then once to the same person. That person needs to open thier eyes and take a good long look at wht the providers were offering and not to go with another provider that offers these type of deals.

just my two cents is all.

Although you may agree with his point of view, what i am pointing out is that his choice of words were poor. In my view someones tenure doesnt exactly mean how long they will be around. Let's face it major corporations that have been around for decades go under with out a moments notice. Although i do agree that alot of offers that are posted up here are completely unreal, there are still some good offers with good firms that havent been around as long as everyone else. But again that doesnt make them any better or worse than "very reliable" providers.

With just this thread in mind.

If the OP woould have gone with a provider whom had "been" in the bussiness for lets say a mimmium one year.

We would not be having this conversation.

You will notice that the majority of TGTBT providers go under very fast and even the large providers are losing cutomers because of poor server reponse due to overselling.

I myself hate to see someone put in 2 months of work on there site just to see it go "poof" one day.

I myself have been working on personal my site since 2003. and the sole reason for my server is to insure its uptime and security of the data that resides in it.

Most of my thoughts come from being a "webmaster" VS a "provider".

I am not saying all providers with less then a year are bad. Yet here at FWS i would say that those with less then a year and offering TGTBT packages bring alot of misery to "good" people just looking for good hosting.

Once again i would have to disagree with you tumble, you said that if the OP would have gone with a provider whom "been" in the business for a minimum of 1 year we wouldnt be having this conversation. If she had have went with us (We have not been in business for a year as of yet) She would still be online as well. My second point to you is that poor server response is not always determined by overselling as a host you should know their are a number of factors that can cause a server to slow down outside of "overselling" . I myself hate to see peoples hard work go to waste as well but my point i am trying to make is that you can't properly make a judgement call on a company based on how long they have been in business nor can you determine this by the pricing on their services. You need to do more research to the company. I recently had a customer that signed up with us that sent me one of the most exahaustive inquiry letters that i have ever seen. Its all research not what you see on the surface ;)

When I last posted asking for hosting offers, I DID say (IIRC) that I wanted someone who'd been around a while. The host I went with had *excellent* reviews. Excuse me if I don't hang around here 24/7 to know what is overselling and what isn't. Also, not everyone can pay the price some webhosts ask. I'm certainly not willing to pay big bucks for one now given my bad experiences to date. At least this last time I did not lose any money. And to those who asked, yes I have all my files on my computer and CD's so I can put it back up when I'm able to sign up with another host. Which won't be till the end of the week given finances.

Oh, also for those who asked, their url is http://www.hostbig.net

The most obvious overselling hosts offers something like 5 GB of space for $1. Some hosts oversell by a little which is acceptable. It's not hard to figure out. Just think about how much server costs are and how a host much a host can offer for a certain price. Say a host has a low end server with 80 GB Space and is paying about $100 per month. It'll cost the host $1.25 per GB of space to break even (assuming the host fills up the entire server). However, if the host wants to profit and has other expenses, it'll cost the host more. That's just an example in general and not exact figures.

Next time you may want to go to several sources for reviews or ask people for suggestions or reviews.

Hi,
The "young" web hosts are just using a loss leading strategy to start growing, that is all. About overselling - this is a bad thing - almost everyone can see who is overselling and who is not - just compare the prices of up to 10 companies from this forum, then take time and read few reviews and you will not need to search more. How to measure overselling (if the company is young) - the price of the server, the price for internet, the price of the power, the co-location, the support salaries (if any), phone costs and many many more. In the end - you are trying to sell the air for $1. This is the big problem, not the age or competence of a company.

A.

Hiya It Has Been Shut Cause His Vps Was Closed Cause Paid The Bill Late.
Pick A Host That Has Been Paid Up Frount More Reliable If You Need A Hosting Provider I Will Put U On My Dedicated Server For A Trial Period If You Want To Get Your Site Back Up
Pm Me If U Would Like This

Does anyone know what happened to HostBig.net? Their website is gone, as is mine. I'm getting very frustrated with webhosts, it seems like every host I have found through this site has been a rip-off. I might as well have stayed with free sites, they were more reliable than paid sites are!

em...not really agree on what u said..
u cannot base 1 result among 1000 results..
of course we cannot :evilb: u too meet that kind of host.

I'm getting very frustrated with webhosts, it seems like every host I have found through this site has been a rip-off. I might as well have stayed with free sites, they were more reliable than paid sites are!

I'm totally not agree with you....:devious2:

[DWH]Tang;881898 said:
If you paid for something ridiculous, well then by signing up you are essentially agreeing to the possible risks involved.

You're right...:beer:

A dot net tld is fine, there are many reputable company's that operate from a net rather than a com.

HostingDepartment are one of those examples.

The most obvious overselling hosts offers something like 5 GB of space for $1.

I do believe there is such a thing as too cheap, which is why I have stayed away from that kind of pricing. However, given that I am not in the USA and I have to convert any price to CDN dollars, and that I am on a limited income, I have been looking at around $5 US per month. However, I may have to up that to $10 and eat more kraft dinner. :p

That is the most obsurd thing i have ever heard. Ill give you a example of a stable provider that utilizes a .net tld. http://www.hostingdepartment.net/ very reliable company..

guess that knocks me out of being a relaible provider DOH!!!

tumble

Gotta love how easy it is to convey meaning on internet forums :cry2:

My statement was meant to be Tongue-in-Cheek. You will often hear of people with the *.net domains later regretting it because they lose business from people typing in whatever.com instead of whatever.net to reach their site.

*.net domains are perfectly fine, *.info though... :)

Last edited:
Gotta love how easy it is to convey meaning on internet forums :cry2:

My statement was meant to be Tongue-in-Cheek. You will often hear of people with the *.net domains later regretting it because they lose business from people typing in whatever.com instead of whatever.net to reach their site.

*.net domains are perfectly fine, *.info though... :)

My statment was meant as tongue-n-cheek as well. :)

Back