• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what does a "Game Server" do?

it is a control panel to control the games yep. They have full good documentation on their site as well. I would drop by their forums to read up on everything and to get a feel for it, they even have a demo up. It is very easy to use

Chief said:
Oh, and I could have that with a gameserver?

Yes you can. I myself have a separate temspeak/ventrilo server entirely. People game on their gameservers, but route voice through an entirely different server (another dedi, or if its small, a VPS will do just fine). Cuts server usage, and I sometimes see it cut lag down since voice packets are more bloted than video game TCP/IP mutliplay packets.

AvailNetworks said:
do you hold a teamspeak or ventrilo license dj

No I do not have a license for either. I just run a few instances of it when requested. 24 users max...such as when I hosted a clan tournament. You'll find I don't advertise either service on my hosting page. Thats just because I run it on the side if someone finds they need it. Brings in a little more money, and gives a little better service.

Now don't get me wrong, I did work for a game host once where I managed 25 ventrilo servers. I've seen alot. But I just do a few small odd jobs with it now.

Yeah last time I remember one server instance can handle 24 users... I personally have never launched more than one server on a particular server at one time... The company I helped did, but they used the licensed versions.

Okay, so if I have a voice speaker on the same server as the gameservers, it will lag alot? so the smart thing to do is get another VPS or dedi to host the voice server?

single ventrilo and ts server without a license can only hold 8 players unless you are using the old version 2.1.2 for ventrilo

If you want to host voice as well as gameservers and legally do it you need a license. If you are only going to put a couple of voice servers it really does nothing to the server, but you HAVE to have a license. Teamspeak licenses are easy to get, ventrilo licenses are not. You are best to get a ventrilo reseller program setup like through www.hurricanhost.com

Back