• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

CPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bad things of big companies:
1. Look at their profits more than their clients.
2. Put on rediculous stipulations with the DMCA policy and gotta do this and that.
3. Don't provide jack sh!t for the beginner to use.
4. Are so big they don't give decent tech support. I mean when you gotta wait 2 days for a reply when I can go to a free provider post in a forum and get support an hour later? Whats up with that.
5. Teens put out an eir of comfort. Unlinke the big companies in suits you feel like you need to be professional and all that.
6. I run on an unlimited reseller plan. Not some small 20GB plan. I know its limitations, how amny people it can hold etc. Learn your server. You will get into less trouble. If you ever have to say you don't something its because you started out on a big plan trying to make money and didn't start small enough to learn the basics.
7. People like Tree NC and deeplist don't know how to give one on one support for one person. You look at it in a globalistic I'm making money way. I see it as I'm helping people do things they wanna do. You stare into your wallets all day asking where can I cut corners to get more while paying less.

heymrdj said:
The bad things of big companies:
1. Look at their profits more than their clients.
2. Put on rediculous stipulations with the DMCA policy and gotta do this and that.
3. Don't provide jack sh!t for the beginner to use.
4. Are so big they don't give decent tech support. I mean when you gotta wait 2 days for a reply when I can go to a free provider post in a forum and get support an hour later? Whats up with that.
5. Teens put out an eir of comfort. Unlinke the big companies in suits you feel like you need to be professional and all that.
6. I run on an unlimited reseller plan. Not some small 20GB plan. I know its limitations, how amny people it can hold etc. Learn your server. You will get into less trouble. If you ever have to say you don't something its because you started out on a big plan trying to make money and didn't start small enough to learn the basics.
7. People like Tree NC and deeplist don't know how to give one on one support for one person. You look at it in a globalistic I'm making money way. I see it as I'm helping people do things they wanna do. You stare into your wallets all day asking where can I cut corners to get more while paying less.
actually big companies have a lot better support (usually also 24/7 chat+phone). Unlike "teens" they know what they are doing, so you will have less problems and their support is always ready to help beginners.
Those "teen resellers" might have fast support, but usually they say something like "Don't worry, we will fix it soon" because they don't even know what is wrong.

hanz said:
actually big companies have a lot better support (usually also 24/7 chat+phone). Unlike "teens" they know what they are doing, so you will have less problems and their support is always ready to help beginners.
Those "teen resellers" might have fast support, but usually they say something like "Don't worry, we will fix it soon" because they don't even know what is wrong.

Most big companies hire people who don't even know what they are talking about (ex: BELL, Rogers, Sympatico, etc)

If the companies are big enough, yes they outsource their support to India or Bangladesh. But small and medium sized companies use their own tech support. I, for example, have 3 people who answer tech support questions. Me, my billing manager, and my technical manager.

Incidentally, those are the only people who get paid. And, because of the jobs they do, they know what is wrong when someone complains. If they don't know, they have access to system logs, billing logs, and other resources that can be used to troubleshoot.

"Teen hosts" have their forum moderators, or someone equally incompetant do tech support. If they do their own tech support, then they will provide assurance that they will fix the problem, but they cannot actually fix the problem, unless the problem can be fixed from within WHM. If the problem is server related, or a bug in Apache, or in an installed module, the reseller can do nothing about it.

=Tree NCIf they do their own tech support, then they will provide assurance that they will fix the problem, but they cannot actually fix the problem, unless the problem can be fixed from within WHM. If the problem is server related, or a bug in Apache, or in an installed module, the reseller can do nothing about it.

The reseller can do nothing about it because he has no root access. But it does not mean that nothing will be done. Most cases, the reseller's provider will deal with problems like that, often much better than server admin wanabees, so the point you try to make there is not valid.

I would also like to comment that, in my experience and opinion, whether you rent a server, or you rent a reseller account, it's essentially the same concept of reselling. If you rent a server, one could argue "If the problem is hardware related, the "reseller renting a server" can do nothing about it". This could only imply that the only real hosts are the ones who own their own datacenter. The big hosts encourage it - "Get your reseller today! Become a host!"

I disagree with that. You cannot just dismiss any kind of resellers.

But I agree with you trying to point out that some resellers are way too inexperienced in technical, management and communications skills to run a web host effectively.

It's also important I think however, to not to become arrogant and hostile towards "newbie hosts" and instead help them become better.

James

i agree with deeplist, for the most part anyways, but yor attiutude is way off. so, there are bad kids. so, they are idiots and they dont know how to do anything. you dont have to sream and yell at everyone.

i tried alot of panles, and i dont really care witch one is better. all of em is fine. heck, zpanel is okay@! i also know how to install forums, etc maually. but fantasico, saves time. thats why i use it. if i have a host without fantasico, i wont care, and ill install it manually. but, for some people, they cant, or dont have the time.

i agree with you on the most part. but ur attitude sucks.

Are resellers real hosts... according to google yes:

• web host
    • [size=-1]A business that provided server space, web services and file maintenance for individuals or companies that do not have their own servers[/size]
    • [size=-1]A company that rents hard drive space and network connections to Web sites is a Web host.[/size]
    • [size=-1]a company responsible for hosting a web page.[/size]
    • [size=-1]A Web host is in the business of providing server space.[/size]

isnt nymka a reseller from zoneserv. hmm, i think so :p
absolutly hate there dowtime.
i love direct admin
heehehehheeh.

cPanel is good for what it is designed to do. Which is to provide a good looking, user-friendly enviornment where you can manage a hosting account. It does have its limitations though.

I'm not saying that those who have a reseller account aren't hosts. It is those who have a reseller account, and cannot provide accurate, helpful tech support when it is needed. I do not own a datacenter, but rather a server in my basement connected to a 100 Mbit connection. I consider myself a host, as the server took hours of configuring, installing software, etc.

The resellers who can provide technical knowledge, as well as the resources are a host in my book.

Last edited:
Look at the amount of "free hosts" there are out there now? Especially compaired to about four or five years ago. Look at the people who responds to the free hosting requests. Who are they, what kind of hosting do they provide? The majority of the people on this forum are teenagers. Why arent there more older people? The answer is because they don't mess around with the stupid little kiddie hosts. They don't mess around with the "free" stuff because it is a waste of time.

A 14 year old gets a job at McDonalds. They have a dream to be a "big l33t host wit hax0r abilitez" and they buy a reseller account. (Because it is all they can afford.) They start hosting all their friends and everybody they can find on this site for free. They lose their job working for Ronald, and then can't make their rent payments. Now the server admin takes their account away and all the other "l33t teenz" are without hosting and they are back here bitching and griping again. Then we see things like "my free host is gone, in search of another" How many times have we all seen this happen?

The support that is provided only depends really on one thing. The company's overall focus on the clients. If they are a large scale business, they will take additional measures to ensure that they customers are taken care of in a timely manor. If they are a small business, the same standards can be achieved with just a few people.

The best advice that I can give would be to do some damn research before you decide to settle for somebody. Find out who is actually in charge of the opperation. Find out who else has used the services and what they think.

I need web host plz
500mb of space
10gb of bandwidth
20 mysql database
20 ftp account
500 email address
CPANEL & FANTASTICO

I am from china, i need web host plz. I start want anime forum for cartoon pics from localhost.

The above is an example of a typical request made on here. You can just about guess it is made by some teenager who doesnt know what they are talking about. Soon after, there are about five "hosts" that respond to the request saying "We can offer what you need, please send me a PM." You can just about guess that the person who responded is also a teenager, and that their half assed business won't be around for much longer.

Anybody can make money doing something. I don't ever believe anybody when they say "I am just a teenager and I don't have any money." That is the biggest crock of shit ever. ANYBODY can do SOMETHING to make a few bucks per month. If you host your site on one of the "free hosts" then you are taking a risk because it is probably a piece of shit and it will not last for very long.

Thus FFRhosting is a good host. We may run off a unlimited reseller, but we provide high quality tech suppot. And if there is a server problem we rely on the IT professionals at the hosting comapny to fix it abruptly (which they do). Tree NC you talk to us like we are more inferior hosts then yuo are. When in actuality who wants to host with a guy when they know that his server is sitting in his basement. The basement is the worst place for a server unless your running a dehumidifier to keep the humidity at a steady 60-70% and are keeping the place at proper temperaturs. (processors can get too hot and too cold. Best temp for a P4 or Xeon is to let it run about 112 degrees. 90 degrees can slow a processor down as well as hitting temps of 130 and up.) Plus your tech support. You are the one man crew of the hosting. If that server in your basement goes down all the guys that are with you are screwed. If you find you don't like the electric bill you can just shut it off at your whim. Not very good.

Oi deeplist you are beginning to piss me off. Some people cannot afford to pay 10$ a month for the lowsy 30MB of space and 100MB BW you paid hosts like to charge. You guys forget the costumers and line your wallets. So please shut the hell up and let people that actually have a kind bone in their body help some of the more needy.

heymrdj said:
Thus FFRhosting is a good host. We may run off a unlimited reseller, but we provide high quality tech suppot.
there is nothing bad about reseller, there are some resellers that are even better than "real" hosts. But "unlimited" reseller is something that you should stay away from, you can not sell unlimited hosting, all servers have limitations. I would suggest you to get rid of that "unlimited" reseller and move to real reseller.

leatherchair said:
isnt nymka a reseller from zoneserv. hmm, i think so :p
absolutly hate there dowtime.
i love direct admin
heehehehheeh.

Yes I'm a reseller from zoneserv, I did go with them because they provided me fast response with all the stuff I wanted to know. I asked for a speed test, 40 minutes after the replied with a link seted up just for me, I asked for a downtime stats they gave it explaining why there was a month with uge downtime. This is the ONLY host I saw with fast response like this and putting the priority on there clients and not on the money they make.

They had a huge downtime because they've got hacked. It's been more than 1 month that I'm with them and I never experienced any downtime.

There is no such thing as unlimited. If there is any site that says "unlimited" then they don't know what they are doing. If you can't get $2 for decent hosting, then go stand on a street corner with a coffee mug and a sign.

Anybody that says they offer free hosting for the "goodness of their heart" and because they want to be nice to the "needy" is full of shit. Nobody would spend money to get a server (or even a reseller account) and not expect to get anything back out of it.

Last edited:
That's true, if I didn't know I was going to make something out of my free hosting, I wouldn't be offering some.

Unpleasant

Deeplist,

Your example of "I'm from China and I want web space" I think might offend some people on this board.

Also your site, this page

http://deeplist.com/host/template.html

This page I think is also offensive.

"Bogus requests from any Asians will be immediately discarded without notice!" You know it's not just asians.

Some people would brand you racist for that.

James

Here's my opinion: 20 MB for $5 is cheap 20 GB for $10 is stupid. Both occur. The second on occurs here often. If you run on a reseller and you provide sensible, quality hosting, then your running a great business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back