• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HOW TO: How No Limit Hosting Is Possible - CWahi.Net's Setup

crosswinds

I've recently come under attack about offering no limit hosting. I've been lumped in with all the scum that oversell a $75 VPS after investing over $150k in an infrastructure to back up what it is I am doing.

Dan. In particular you have placed me in this group and I want to clarify. You have no idea how much I have been screwed over or sacrificed in an attempt to do what I have accomplished.

Read what I type BEFORE you respond. I am not here for a quick buck. I want to prove that no limits is possible, feasible and profitable. Once I have proof, I want to share - but it requires resources.

So here is HOW I have done it, and with what.

#1 - I do not use an off the shelf control panel. It is not possible to do it with any control panel that is tied to a single system

#2 - I don't use a single server or VPS. The initial system for CWahi (my free service) has 20 dedicated servers, over 10TB of disk in redundant arrays (both the disk chassis and their servers are redundant). Each system has a single function. Total hardware cost was around $75k with the last $75k being the 1 man year of figuring everything out and tying it together.

#3 - Figure out an expansion strategy for growth of b/w and disk. Both are easy given #2. More disk? Plop disk in the tray. They full? Buy more servers. Map them into the network. (zfs and freebsd for the win)

#4 - Map the users into server groups and design software to serve and do this mapping.

I have hand coded all the infrastructure to bind open source applications, servers and filesystems together. Admittedly, the members section sucks and needs to go more graphical, but it works, is scalable and fast.

No limit on disk space or file size - this is easy. Except for user created files or some open source projects, most large files are copyrighted. That is the one thing not allowed on our systems, so why limit them? Also removes one monitoring headache and introduces the need to watch for abuse. Old scripts from 1997 modified for the new layouts to the rescue.

Site getting big? No problem (right now this is not even an issue. The smallest server slice group is 1TB and the biggest site is only 18GB). But what if it goes to 1TB? Add more disk to the trays for the server group at 66% utilization, add the partition (zfs ftw). Done. Tray full? Buy new tray and server, image it, zfs the tray, add to network. Migrate some sites (live replication) and update their server group mapping.

Now the biggie - transfer.

No limit transfer is the game of making sure 95% of the people are not affected at *all*, while nailing the 5% that abuse/pillage your system (adult content is the biggest b/w consumer and against the TOS).

The total amount of b/w and transfer that a site can consume is not limited. This works FOR me. Fast sites to all normal end users (that 95%) is my goal - they see my text link bar at the top (in place of banners/popups) and they want to host with me. So I *want* to keep them (the normal people) happy.

The 5% that are abusers - this is the key issue.

So, using data from my pro hosting (when I had quotas and transfer caps), I find out what types and sizes of files are used in the construction of sites and most legal downloadable content.

I then write a system that applies a RATE limit to a visitor that goes out of this norm - and 99% of the time it is an abuser. No limits on the number of connections, just the max speed at which very large files of specified mime types can go out with.

95% of the people never see any limit. The 5% do, it sets off alerts, they get frustrated and leave, I find a site violating TOS.

I use a lot of B/W from my Colo and they have much more to give me. My prices are per Mbps is peanuts now.

The last piece is having sustainable revenue. And the trick is to try to not put it on the users pages (and I avoid the post 2 host method).

Ads are on the main site.
Ads are on the error pages.

I am also helping my ad providers monetize my biggest traffic base - China. Considered to be the hardest to monetize.

I average $6ish CPM - only about $20/day atm but my costs are approx $5-7/day (fluctuations of course). I haven't even actually paid for more b/w yet because I haven't even come within 50% of my commit level (bandwidth I pay for whether I use it or not).

So, a well thought out, custom infrastructure that is flexible, expandable, reliable and mostly, inexpensive to upgrade, plus low bandwidth costs and high advertising income (relatively speaking).

Even if i make no more changes, I can continue to grow and expand as I am. But since I am making money, I am developping and giving more.

I even removed the limits off my pro so that my paying customers do not have to pay more or ever worry about limits. I had approximate 10% near my old limits, but with the economic downturn I don't wont them to have to worry about over charges or outtages. My signup rate in the past 6 months has gone down with the economy, even with no limits. Greed is not the point.

I fight the overselling scum - I removed them if I found them abusing my systems and taking advantage of people.

So please, in a civil manner, question me. I love to be challenged and force to think out my planning.

I have, in a previous thread, expressed that I want to extend my knowledge and cost savings to Free Web Site Hosters (you guys) by GIVING you FREE VPS or Dedicated servers and leveraging my economy of scale to help you lower your costs, increase your reliability and provide better services to your customers.

With the attacks I really gotta wonder if it's worth dealing with the interpersonal hassles which often overcome all financial reward for both parties.

I am here to help.

Sorry it was so long but if I went into *gorey* detail, it'd be huge.

I can see why I am lumped into the overselling barrel, but you guys cannot see why I am not. I hate what they do as well - I've been screwed over and it sucks, and I won't do it to anyone else.

Last edited:
You should write a book, seriously.
If only companies (Like HG) took a leaf out of your book, they could keep everyone happy and make lots more profit with constant expasion.
I would rep you again, but I can't yet. How you have a low rep right now is beyond belief.

If only companies (Like HG) took a leaf out of your book, they could keep everyone happy and make lots more profit with constant expasion.
I would rep you again, but I can't yet. How you have a low rep right now is beyond belief.

Honestly, I don't blame then when they see "Unlimited/No Limit". 99.99999% of the people offering it either fail, or are trying to rip people off.

NO one has correctly pulled it off. I only failed in my first attempt because I lacked initial financing, a good business partner (or experience now) and then when money was critically short, listened to the extremely bad advice of a so called expert.

This time, I have all I need in place.

Last edited:
Ok. Each server you have has a limit right? If you agree with that, then you will agree with this:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNLIMITED!!!!! STOP TELLING YOUR CUSTOMERS WHO PAY YOU LOADS OF MONEY LIES!!!!

Dan,

Each server has a max limit, yes. Thats why I use multiple and grow/buy more when I reach 66% capacity.

It is not a lie since I do keep expanding and buying. Unlike a regular vps/dedicated client, I am not limited to 1 system.

Even cPanel sites can be replicated onto multiple servers - check out their own forums for how.

That, in a nutshell, is what sets me apart from most of the people that are scum (and I agree with you that most claiming unlimited are scum).

Did you even read what I posted? I lifted restrictions on existing customers so they *don't* have to pay more.

Tony

Last edited:

So, you think offering Unlimited Space and Bandwidth is good yeah?
Like, if that's the case, anyone can say:
"I have over 40 dedicated boxes and adding to them regularly so there's always plenty to go around and that's how I can make thousands of dollars by making people believe they have unlimited space and transfer, even though there's no such thing!"

I didn't say it was a good thing, but his setup IS a good setup. As he has said, he doesn't limit users, if they treat his services with respect and abide by the rules, then he has no problem hosting them, regardless.
If you take the current view on overselling out of the question, and view on his setup, there's a huge difference in the two.

Plus, you're mixing his words up, he's talking about his free hosting.

They say the universe can't be unlimited in mass, yet it continues to expand.

I didn't say it was a good thing, but his setup IS a good setup. As he has said, he doesn't limit users, if they treat his services with respect and abide by the rules, then he has no problem hosting them, regardless.
If you take the current view on overselling out of the question, and view on his setup, there's a huge difference in the two.

Plus, you're mixing his words up, he's talking about his free hosting.

They say the universe can't be unlimited in mass, yet it continues to expand.

Heh, I'm expanding every day - need more exercise.

One assumption made is that each host is only served off one system. At the moment, each site is served by 4 front end systems and the backend files are hosted on 2, each of which has mirrored disks (so in effect 4).

My approach is more 'cloud-like'/cluster (and i hate that term) than server oriented.

You cannot compare a VPS/Dedicated server with my infrastructure directly. Once DragonflyBSD matures I will be looking at it since it is meant to be a SSI (single system image) cluster. In effect one massive "server" comprised of many. My infrastructure is a happy medium until that time.

Hey Dan... no need to get so worked up. He is offering unlimited within feasibility. He did not say his servers were unlimited, but he said that the resources that each user are unlimited.

"the resources that each user are unlimited"

That is perfectly reasonable and logical. As long as he keeps adding servers, the users won't be able to finish using the resources. In this scenario, the user would, of course, be having REAL UNLIMITED RESOURCES, because he is using as much as he wants to and crosswinds is facilitating that as long as the website is within the reasonable end of the TOS.

With that many boxes, even if some noob who has a huge legitimate but unmonetized site were to move to his free hosting services, crosswinds still wouldn't have any problem maintaining it.

From my observations, crosswinds seems very mature and logical in his thinking. I would strongly believe that he helps every one of his customers. If that noob really does come buy, I'm sure that he will help him monetize his site so that he can move off to a dedicated server soon enough.

Best of luck with your unlimited infrastructure, crosswinds!

That's cool

So, if I was to come along and offer this:

Deise Unlimited
Unlimited Space
Unlimited Transfer
Unlimited Features
cPanel
More stuff

Price: Free - Just place an ad.

I would:

1. Be completely and utterly slapped off every single bad word filter here
2. Get Infracted
3. Be blacklisted.

But if some guy comes along "CLAIMING" to have 40 servers on the go, does it, he gets praised.

Jan, Peo, I think the rule on Unlimited Space needs to change to "You can offer it if you tell us you have 40 servers on the go"

Look, I have nothing against the guy, crosswind, and I am sure he is a very nice guy. But, Unlimited is Unlimited no matter whether you have a reseller on some VPS or 1 million servers.

One thing is for certain, there is no such thing as Unlimited.
Even the data center itself has a limit to the amount of data it can handle, all tho its a huge amount of data, its still not possible to get past its physical limitations.

That being said, it is actually possible to offer unlimited hosting, especially considering most people dont actually use much bandwidth or diskspace.
But people doing this have to be more careful with how they organize their services than those offering hosting with a limit. Simply because its much easier to allocate resources and keep track of how many accounts you can "sell" before having add the next server, and its a safer method for those with more limited funding.

"Unlimited" hosts seem to have a bad reputation for failing miserably, especially those who are at the point on the food chain, they would advertise here.
IMO the rule is there to help protect the users from these bad risk hosts and to discourage those who would offer it, yet not have a viable way of producing it, from advertising such services.
A new host offering Unlimited plans is a very high risk, and most older experienced hosts who do this, simply have no need to advertise at a place like this.

If you wish to advertise your plans here without breaking the rules, why not just specify a limit of 1tb or some thing rather huge?

One thing i think has to be mentioned however.

Lots of data transfer requires alot of CPU and RAM use!
So if you DC people for using moderate amounts of other resources, then there technically would be a limit.

TranferLimit = (MaximumTransferSpeed @ MaxAllowedCPUnRAMuseage) X 1Month.
If you get my drift.

Its somthing that would be hard to calculate since every server is different, but it would be a limit none the less :p

Those offering unlimited hosting should make it clear how much other resources you are allowed to use, and perhaps estimate a max possible before disconnection.

This is like the old AOL lawsuit from a decade ago. We're getting all tied up with the messy logic-puzzle meanings of "unlimited".

What about some new phrasing? Something like "unrestricted throughput" which describes that no artificial throughout penalties are imposed? So if your site hits Digg, and traffic looks like LA Rush Hour, he's saying he can handle it.

There seems to be a 30-sec limit on any song & video file, so he is using file type limits to bound the range of ways someone could the dangerous levels of bandwidth.

I am looking for the rest of my mirror-suite, so I am investigating cwahi now because of his sincerity.

Last edited:
Well, he did not say that he has unlimited servers or unlimited resources to give away. He just says that his users can use his services without limits, which is unlimited. Isn't without limits unlimited?

Well, he did not say that he has unlimited servers or unlimited resources to give away. He just says that his users can use his services without limits, which is unlimited. Isn't without limits unlimited?

On his website it says "Unlimited Space" and "Unlimited Transfer".
That, to me, is Unlimited, and is Impossible.

http://ardictionary.com/Unlimited/1857

Unlimited 3
Definition: Unconfined; not restrained; unrestricted

unlimited 4
Definition: that cannot be entirely consumed or used up; "an inexhaustible supply of coal"

Unlimited 1
Definition: Not limited; having no bounds; boundless; as, an unlimited expanse of ocean.

The word was never meant as "never ending" more of a term to describe No limits or a way to get passed current limits.
As in we have a 3 server cluster holding 2000 people
It has 1TB of space combined and is up to 750GB of used space.
We add another server with 500GB of space to allow the people to keep going.
so that is making it something that cannot be entirely consumed or used up.

The cluster its self is the unlimited system..

Or;
We can always fall back on the fact that unlimited also has the meaning "No limits".
So your saying your hosting account has no limits, is also true.

The word should not need to describe other stupid facts that every retard and his dog should understand such as the fact that hardware is limited! "So thats why I need to buy a new PC every 2 years?"

I'm always one that likes the unlimited plan idea.(as you can see in other posts I made about overselling)

@OP stop being a douche, you come across as someone who thinks they know everything, no one knows everything.

Last edited:
I for one find anyone who offers "Unlimited" anything is a rip. Don't get me wrong here but in my own mind unlimited disk space does not exist. [yet]. I don't care if you have 1 server or 1 million there is still a limit on those servers. As of right now you cant say they have unlimited because such a think does not exist. The bandwidth alone is not unlimited. Now perhaps a better term to use would be unmeaterd. That is possible in the sense that you don't put a restriction on any one user.

But tell me this. If you offer "Unlimited" space and I was to come along and decide to use your service to backup every computer I own along with all my servers to your network. And fill up around 2tb of space. Your not gonna kick my --- to the curb?

I know if I was you I would. Then we can go into the copyright part of it. Even if the copyright files are not legal and you don't allow them. How are you going to stop people from uploading them? If you offer unlimited space you are bound to get some pre-teen noobs that upload anything they want and don't care. And chances are 99% of the time you wont know the copyright files are even there. I mean how can you keep track if you have 40 some odd servers?

Going back over the thread again you say that you keep expanding and buying. If it was truly unlimited why would you have to keep buying more? Its unlimited servers right? Fact of the matter is if it was truly unlimited you would not need to buy more to support it. And eventually even if you only keep the servers at 66% load they are going to get oversold and something will go wrong.

I realize I probably skipped around in this post quite a bit but its 5:30am and I am tired. I also realize some of you [mainly the op] will feel the need to -rep me for voicing my opinion. However that is just what this entire post is. My opinion. Feel free to bash it all you want it wont change.

Oh and I 2nd what CnR said.

@OP stop being a douche

[sidenote] thank god for firefox built in spell check :p[/sidenote]

http://ardictionary.com/Unlimited/1857
@OP stop being a douche, you come across as someone who thinks they know everything, no one knows everything.

How am I a douche for attempting to clarify my position?

Forums/emails/irc/messenging lacks tone of voice - so I can see how the post appears "preachy" - but it isn't meant to be. I am frustrated at the attacks but given the industry norm, I understand them.

I don't know everything. Not by a long shot. I don't claim to nor ever will. I simply want to differentiate myself from the scum that prey on most people because I abhor them.

Some people warp the definition of unlimited to exploit others. My goal is to give as much that the definition of unlimited allows, as long as it is viable.

Back