• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HOW TO: How No Limit Hosting Is Possible - CWahi.Net's Setup

Here is something taken directly from one of my recent blog posts:

Just a quick thought here on unlimited hosting: sure, there is no such thing as a hard drive with unlimited space, a common argument of those who are against unlimited hosting plans. But, have you ever heard of anyone with unlimited data?

Think about it.

ok data is stored on hdd space.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I was trying to figure out the same thing - thought it was just my lame-ness when it comes to smart---- jokes - glad to see it's not! :p

I've recently come under attack about offering no limit hosting. I've been lumped in with all the scum that oversell a $75 VPS after investing over $150k in an infrastructure to back up what it is I am doing.
<snip>
I can see why I am lumped into the overselling barrel, but you guys cannot see why I am not. I hate what they do as well - I've been screwed over and it sucks, and I won't do it to anyone else.

crosswinds for teh win!!!!1

I have a suggestion for you crosswinds....

Some ISPs charge their customers for uploads(they count both uploads and downloads together)...

I've always liked using rsync to transfer my files between my machine and the hosting provider with my machine setup as an rsync server.... This is all good if the hosting provider is willing to give SSH access, not many do....

It would be real good if you could allow uploads via rsync... You could wrap the rsync in a gui window in your control panel section.... Normally I run rsync on the hosting provider like this:
rsync --verbose --archive --compress --stats --progress rsync://rsync.subdomain.net/somedir /home2/username/www/somedir
If the gui wrapper accepted passing options to rsync(which would be optional), a server url, and a destination directory, and optionally a usernamr and/or password.. The the gui/webpage would call rsync on their behalf that way no ssh access is needed and we get to use rsync so everyone ends up a happy chappy.

This benefits both the uploader as well as the provider as with rsync you only need to upload only the new files and only deltas(changes) to any other files that might have changed.

cWahi Down? (Brief I hope)

Anyone know a good all purpose SiteStatus site that tracks just about everyone so we can see how long site outages have lasted?

I'm getting Address Not Found for cWahi and the parent Crosswinds sites. I don't know how long he's been down - I think it's brief, but it could be obscured by how long I've been running on a local page cache because my page is just a personal jumpgate.

cWahi not found?

... And it is brief.
"Go to lunch and check again" dept. Still the reason for a sitestats service though.

I checked twice today in case it was merely a username glitch or something.
I'd have thought there was a failover page during maintenance etc.

See y'all, this is the trouble behind the "unlimited" offers. It raises the expectation needlessly, so that when trouble does occur it takes more energy to remain rational during problems. We'll probably hear "Oh, we had ____ problem", but isn't that just it - the type of problem is difficult to distinguish between classic overselling failouts and more baroque situations.

Capacity

I did.
cWahi is still on lead because of all the effort they put into their setup, and they responded well to a ticket. I have to buckle down and print their TOS and study it so I can test their Capacity Which Shall Not Be Named within the rules. However when a gremlin bit them yesterday, I forgot I had no backup, hence my hosting request on the other side.

My opinion is still that the magical word "unlimited" basically leads into logic-problems at a minimum, and I'd guess that only 3-5 hosts can offer something close, while we all have seen this become the newest buzzword marketing ploy of the year. (There was even a major story on the theme about a month ago.)

If it wasn't for the work involved, I'd put together a Longevity rating to help counteract this stuff. cWahi's team has got to be darn close to the top. I was disappointed because my former 2nd Tier was promising, but they folded at that notorious 7-month mark.

HOW TO How No Limit Hosting Is Possible CWahi Nets Setup

This is my document root path and it doesnt look like any of yours

D:Hosting4471142html

What am I doing wrong here?

wow... If you have the revenue, this is do-able. But I wonder bout the huge management challenge that might arise if something somewhere goes bad! :D

Back