• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HOW TO: How No Limit Hosting Is Possible - CWahi.Net's Setup

I 100% agree on the layout (when you log in). I'm technical - very technical, and extremely bad graphically. I can't draw a stick figure to save my life!
Fair enough to that, but that's why you employ a proffesional designer to do so ;)

The template was designed by a professional based on information we gave. The theme is "community, with a polynesian-like feel". This is based on the original CW concept. Even the logo is based on the original. Low res jpeg? Of course - loading speed is paramount as long as the logo renders decent.
It isn't really profesional or warming. How old is it? To me it looks very outdated. It needs a glossy warm inviting feeling. Here's some examples, just browsed through FWS Free section:
http://www.itriss.com/
http://jumponthe.net/
Even simpliest of designs:
http://fyrr.net/

Some like it, some hate it - you're in the latter. No offense taken. I really *DO* wish I could please everyone, but it's not possible.
For a first time user it's not giving off the right image. It looks more like a blog or e-commerce.

I just need to make the forums public and link them :) The forum is the heart of our communication. I think that's an excellent idea. One thing we don't do, however, is force people to use or communicate in it. We don't force people to do anything! Also the heart of our philosophy.
I never said forcing to do anything. A host with a excellent community makes it a excellent host. Just publicly link the forums and emphasise that it's there. Must do.

For people like you, absolutely! You want/need the assurance. Most of the people just don't care. We analyze our traffic flows - only a small % remain on the main page for more than a few seconds - just enough time to find the sign up link or leave.
All the technical mumbo jumbo seems excellent for even the amaetur. It NEEDS to be on there just to show you have it. You have a very advanced and costly network. Show it off!

So possibly you are correct - they judge it by it's look and go 'ugh' and leave.
Not really as blunt as you make it, but if it was me, I'd browse the few poorly pages and just think, meh I'll leave. If the forum was public, that would possibly bypass that.

We expect that you are right. Our marketting centers around our established keywords "free unlimited web hosting" and building up "free web hosting". Right now, the former is still growing and brings in over 60% of our search engine traffic (mostly google). The latter is down around 10% - we need to build up that relevance.
Obviously that's excellent, SEO is a big part of a free host but there's nothing better than user mouth. So building up your reputation by your community is the best way to go.

Thanks for taking the time to present your thoughts clearly and investigating our site.
No problem, anything to help.

Wow, I just took a closer look at our logo - I see jaggies! I gotta get that fixed - thanks for the comment on that
It's a rather low quality logo. Not resolution, its the JPG compression used. I'd suggest a new logo and look all together.

Really get a new design!

Thanks,
Jonny

No problem. Look forward to talking with you.

I can't connect to the Windows Live ID authentication from here - I have connected to Yahoo successfully - can you set up a Yahoo ID? Mine is still the same there too.

Fired up Google talk and issued an invite to you - pm'd my address.

Last edited:
Fair enough to that, but that's why you employ a proffesional designer to do so ;)

It isn't really profesional or warming. How old is it?

Just over a year - but I haven't paid attention to it too closely since I've been implementing. I will take a look at the links and look at a redo - I'm not tied to any particular look.

I never said forcing to do anything. A host with a excellent community makes it a excellent host. Just publicly link the forums and emphasise that it's there. Must do.

I agree. Putting that up near the top of my to do.

All the technical mumbo jumbo seems excellent for even the amaetur. It NEEDS to be on there just to show you have it. You have a very advanced and costly network. Show it off!

I'll whip up a page laying it out then :)

Not really as blunt as you make it, but if it was me, I'd browse the few poorly pages and just think, meh I'll leave. If the forum was public, that would possibly bypass that.

Good to know - I focus on technical so I'm not into the end users mind set. My mind set is focussed on the technical problems that arise.

Obviously that's excellent, SEO is a big part of a free host but there's nothing better than user mouth. So building up your reputation by your community is the best way to go.

I 100% agree and have always said that. Heck it's even the sig of Jenn (head of support) and me in the forum. It's how the Original Crosswinds grew and even how we're growing now.

It's a rather low quality logo. Not resolution, its the JPG compression used. I'd suggest a new logo and look all together.

We have a high res master that it's derived from - I need to have it recompressed and put up.,

I'm hearing you on the design :)

What you've said is too wordy. Why don't you write a summarize at the end, stating:

When your disk space or bandwidth usage reaches about 60%, its time to expand or get a new server.

After a discussion with crosswinds on GT (sorry iBright, didn't see your post etc.), I can bow my head and say, I was proven wrong.
The guy has an amazing setup and it is no doubt a genuine article.

Finally, we're all at peace :) So this thread can continue for the sake of other people wowing at Tony's awesome setup :D

After a discussion with crosswinds on GT (sorry iBright, didn't see your post etc.), I can bow my head and say, I was proven wrong.
The guy has an amazing setup and it is no doubt a genuine article.

Dan thanks for that - it takes integrity.

I was happy to chat with you! And anyone for that matter.

What you've said is too wordy. Why don't you write a summarize at the end, stating:

When your disk space or bandwidth usage reaches about 60%, its time to expand or get a new server.

Dan had asked for detail in the other thread, so I gave it. I avoided excessive detail until in chat with him where I could spell it out and answer any questions he had.

The in-detail version is a*lot* longer :)

Finally, we're all at peace :) So this thread can continue for the sake of other people wowing at Tony's awesome setup :D

Tech I do well.

Graphics? Um, just look at my sites. The free one I paid for and was happy with - and I did the template for the paid site.

Someone needs to keep me away from graphics :)

Tech I do well.

Graphics? Um, just look at my sites. The free one I paid for and was happy with - and I did the template for the paid site.

Someone needs to keep me away from graphics :)

Ok... maybe awesome setup excluding the design :p

lol man, enough double posting :p

I pretty much assumed this was over some deleted advertising threads, but seems you were just continuing trying to make a point from the other thread (wich i read now).
You dont have to stop advertising / change your siggy just to prove a point here. Should have just changed it to fit the rules here.

I have to agree on the site, and the locked forum. I didnt mention it earlier since it wasnt really on the main topic. It looks like you imported the site you used back in the 90s.
When It comes down to it, people will stay for your service, not becuause of your site, but a nice site helps for the initial attraction. Tho from the sound of it, you dont have much trouble there anyway.

Anyways, glad everyone sorted out their issues :)

I do believe links in siggies to any place except for sites with vicious or mature content are allowed. :)

New Promo Terms

Tsk... what we need to do is to invent a word that's a hybrid of unmetered and unlimited... something that describes that you are not limited to what you can use, but what you use is monitored.

The one I like is "No Penalty". Life happens, and one day the site might drag a bit, but it emphasizes that there is so host-side TOS driven grenade like the famous one that says you get charged money if your bandwidth goes over the hidden cap.

Many styles of evaluating services

(Truncated) ... The most I want in the free hosting world IS reliability. I've been battered and bruced by lost data, downtime and slow loads. ...
With all this money to keep a cluster like that going, surely you would put the little money aside for a truely proffesional and sleek website that will show you off as a true webhosting company? ...

So you need to:
  • Invest in a sleek, modern webdesign
  • EXPLAIN your beautiful success
  • SHOW you have reliability
  • PROOVE that you have a beautiful structure

Thanks & Good Luck,
Jonny

I will add my unique eval style to this spirited discussion.

Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of companies with smoothly designed sites crumple when it came time to buckle down and host a page.

About "Proof": Promo copy doesn't prove anything. Again it's that category of "write once, looks great forever". I host my homepages on the sites I try out. Since it is quite small, it should be a cinch to host. Thus when my little site fails to load, that means no serious page is going to do well.

I do specifically like to be hosted as a free client rather than a paid client (for now). There's a joke that in American business you get the same service "but pay for the right to yell at someone". My current other candidate for co-lead host does have some maintenance downtimes. Now, if I were pretending that paying $2.88 per month made me a little tyrant, I could get all frothed up about that. As a free client, I shrug and switch to a mirror. When they are up, the page loads smoothly.

I do not weight presentation all that heavily on signup decisions. Lenient TOS is more important for me. About once a year I put together a chart of sites looking for new potential mirrors. A whole swath of them get crossed off because they look good, and then their TOS has a bomb like "if your site does not get 10 unique hits per month we shut you off". Crosswind's terms are pretty sensible, so that became another plus.

I might be convinced to redesign your site for you in a month or two in return for a "site designed by" link. As I like the fact you're a good host I want to help you by doing something most webdesigners can't do: write your site in *real* XHTML, not phony (X)HTML.

I might be convinced to redesign your site for you in a month or two in return for a "site designed by" link. As I like the fact you're a good host I want to help you by doing something most webdesigners can't do: write your site in *real* XHTML, not phony (X)HTML.

That would be nice :) Cwahi is *almost* real xhtml - almost. heheheh

I need to improve my forum-fu so that I don't need to double post no more!

I apologize for any delays in responses - spent the rest of yesterday at my parents with my baby girl and her cousins. Nothing better than watching 3 little girls create their own little version of "Lord of the Flies" :p

Back