• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Just for you Linux Lovers...

I dont like Windows, personally you can give me a FreeBSD box, ill make it my own, and after that none will recognize it as a normal box anymore, i can edit any aspect of it, change things, recode parts

I have used windows for the past 13 years of my life, till i was enlightened with Red Hat. Soon that was turned into Debian, and now FreeBSD.

I really like FreeBSD, and personally would not want to live without it around, its great for servers that need get a lot of network connections, and is fast, has awesome memory management and such.

I always like to point out that Windows has a lot of bugs, and things which cause yet another entry. I know FreeBSD and its stuff has errors, and bugs that allow for root access, but those are fixed within a reasonable time frame (1 day tops).

I once reported a entry point a friend of mine had found in MS, which allowed you to run anything on the remote machine that you wanted. As soon as i reported it to Microsoft i was told to not release it till it was fixed, and to date it still has not been fixed. This was a few weeks ago.

BTW about the photoshop comment:

GIMP owns, its better, smaller, and best of all, open source and free :p.

There are a lot of free games available for Linux and FreeBSD, i personally like "cube" the quake 2 like engine and shoot em up game, or tux racer.

Funny thing is that Windows wouldnt work on an old PC that my grand dad had, so he bought a new PC, i installed FreeBSD on the old one with no hassles, with KDE 3.1.4, and some other apps that he needed, and he now uses that, and has returned his new computer as he has no need for it. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks :p.

Note: The windows box was: 500 Mhz, 128 MB ram, 8 GB HD compaq, WIndows failed to recognize: the mouse, cdrom drive, and onboard gfx card. No drivers helped the matter.

Originally posted by X-Istence

Funny thing is that Windows wouldnt work on an old PC that my grand dad had, so he bought a new PC, i installed FreeBSD on the old one with no hassles, with KDE 3.1.4, and some other apps that he needed, and he now uses that, and has returned his new computer as he has no need for it. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks :p.

Note: The windows box was: 500 Mhz, 128 MB ram, 8 GB HD compaq, WIndows failed to recognize: the mouse, cdrom drive, and onboard gfx card. No drivers helped the matter. [/B]

What OS did originally have on the system?

or tux racer.
wtf?? You can play that? I decided it was a joke because it wouldn't compile. I didn't think anyone in history had ever compiled it, and if you finially got it to compile you were a *nix god or something.

Re: Re: Re: linux

Originally posted by Robert
I'm not into that kiddie Redhat crap that you guys thinks make you smart because you know how log into ssh as root.
You mean the same kids that IRC as root? :eek:

I personally try and stay the hell away from distros such as Redhat.
BSD all the way.

Originally posted by X-Istence

GIMP owns, its better, smaller, and best of all, open source and free

any designer would choose photoshop over gimp, why? because it shows that the designer is out to do the best, and use something that is superior to the GIMP.

i've used gimp (linux whore friend in grade 6, yr2000, learned about photoshop 2001), even before i knew what photoshop was, and i didn't like it

Originally posted by tandoc
any designer would choose photoshop over gimp, why? because it shows that the designer is out to do the best, and use something that is superior to the GIMP.

i've used gimp (linux whore friend in grade 6, yr2000, learned about photoshop 2001), even before i knew what photoshop was, and i didn't like it
Perhaps if you took the time to read some man files you'd figure out how to properly use Gimp to your advantage. :angry2:

Originally posted by notnamed
wtf?? You can play that? I decided it was a joke because it wouldn't compile. I didn't think anyone in history had ever compiled it, and if you finially got it to compile you were a *nix god or something.
Wow, that is sad indeed.
Seeing as binaries are available, and Tux Racer has been ported to other operating systems such as Windows.

Originally posted by jmiller
Perhaps if you took the time to read some man files you'd figure out how to properly use Gimp to your advantage. :angry2:

The fact stays the same that any designer would choose photoshop over gimp in a heart beat

Originally posted by guitarnerd
The fact stays the same that any designer would choose photoshop over gimp in a heart beat
Not neccessarily. :eek:

Especially those NOT on Windows/Mac.

I'd take Photoshop anyday, but that's not the point. The point is that I just contributed to this thread in a semi-serious manner, and as such, I need to go sanitize myself.

Originally posted by jmiller
Wow, that is sad indeed.
Seeing as binaries are available, and Tux Racer has been ported to other operating systems such as Windows.
I never found any binaries when I looked, and it has been told to me by people I now consider evil that...hrm. well, nvm.

Re: Re: Re: linux

Originally posted by Robert
I'm not into that kiddie Redhat crap that you guys thinks make you smart because you know how log into ssh as root.

So, if i load up freebsd, i can be just as cool and anti-social as you?! COOL!!!111 Where do i sign up????

Re: Re: Re: Re: linux

Originally posted by is0lized
So, if i load up freebsd, i can be just as cool and anti-social as you?! COOL!!!111 Where do i sign up????

You would never be able to install FreeBSD on your own buddy, let alone use it.

You want to continue to make yourself look any more ridiculous, keep it up.

But oh wait, you may hack me with your Linux knowledge. I'm so scared.

is0lized, you are such a child, and i know you're getting just on my nerves, but others as well. :eek: :angry2:

Back