• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why are people still using HTML?

Originally posted by notnamed
Oh...what browsers don't support <br/> ? I've been using it instead of <br /> lately, it's quicker...
Omittag works with old browsers while still allowing you to maintain valid XHTML.

I use HTML and it works everywhere. No need to reinvent the wheel if its already been done.
I don't know about your guys but I'm a big fan of
PHP:
<br>

I just use the stricter rules of XHTML in my HTML. I thought that was all it was, just making sure you closed things and stuff...

Damnit, I certainly hope that XHTML doesn't eventually replace HTML. It will only boost the WYSIWYG editor industry (Frontpage, Dreamweaver), as people will be reluctant to actually learn the complicated syntax.

Quite honestly, XHTML is not that much more complicated than HTML. If anything, XHTML is a blessing. Why? Because it's teaching the coder that they must follow rules. It's teaching them to use proper programming methods, and I really don't see what's wrong with that.

Most people who learn HTML nowadays go on to learn JavaScript, CSS, PERL and possibly PHP/mySQL. As you probably already know, these languages are very strict. If you make a mistake in your coding, you will know about it, because it just won't work the way you want it to.

This is where XHTML is headed. Unlike HTML, if you don't practice a proper programming practice (I like to call it PrPP) then it's most likely you will have much frustration and headache. If you don't put the standard codes that allow the browser to know that you're trying to give it commands to follow, then it will ignore you.

I know this sounds harsh, but in the long run, everyone will benefit from it. It's like a lazy person getting a hard job. No more slacking! :cool:

man, normally i trust that a lot of you guys are expert on web design issues; but i can't believe so many of you guys disagree to follow standards.

there are countless number of articles i can post to you guys about how xhtml should be used over html... but you should just visit http://www.w3c.org/ . also some others like jakob nielsen's http://www.useit.com/ and jeffrey zeldman's http://www.zeldman.com/ .

there are so many things that CSS designs work so much better over HTML... for those of you who say "i emphasize on content," it's all the more reason for you to switch over, because CSS layouts emphasize on structures, html tags become what they were meant to be - for structuring, not for styling. leave it for CSS.

i hope you guys also know that devices like cell phones, can view webpages with XHTML standard compliant CSS designs, but not old HTML with font tags and stuff.

Originally posted by notnamed
Oh...what browsers don't support <br/> ? I've been using it instead of <br /> lately, it's quicker...

Why use span? I just removed the <span> tags from your site, and it still looks exactly the same.

I haven't gone through the 5 pages yet, but I'll add my opinion in response to the first post. XHTML is just a markup language, big deal? There're things that matter more than XHTML, your site might have 10 nested tables and yet pass the validation. My point? If you feel comfortable using HTML 4 Transitional, go ahead! No one can claim that it won't work! (There's always MSIE :D) To a coder, the final output for the browser is nothing but a mere task of larger source files, while designers would cringe at the idea of having to code large projects, taking care of the output code! Use technology that you're comfortable with, you would be better of using CSS to seperate your style from content rather than passing the validator and nothing positive goes through your code.

My 2 cents. :)

a positive side from xhtml coding:
encourage structured coding and be a good start to learn more about css and xml

a negative side from xhtml coding:
add extra time and energy when one codes by using notepad or such text editor....(better to go and have leisure time :))

Originally posted by bloodyveins
a negative side from xhtml coding:
add extra time and energy when one codes by using notepad or such text editor....(better to go and have leisure time :))

that's what many people *think*, which is why most don't want to change. the fact is, once you get the hang of it, coding in XHTML with CSS layouts is MUCH easier and more time-saving. but I too understand inertia... most people don't like changes. feel free to do your way, though I definitely hope every web designers would come to understand gradually why is XHTML/CSS the better way, the future, and work on changing their site.

Well, i certainly hope HTML never dies, there is nothing wrong with it and all these new schoolers just like playing with it as though its a toy.Hopefully the craze will end and we will be back to good old times :)

I feel so left behind :(

Back